Good to be back

corsachili

Reaction score
It's good to be back chatting amongst the E9 owners of the world. I've been making a huge mess of my garage, trying to keep engine parts separated as I assemble one (the 3 liter D-Jet) and disassemble the other (S38).

My CSL is still at the paint shop. The work needed on the decklid ended up being much more involved than previously assumed, and they've taken it all the way down to the metal. There was a good amount of bondo on it, so despite the time and hassle, I'm glad they're doing it right this time.

Hopefully she'll be home sometime in the next month and I'll be able to get back to putting her together.

In the mean time, I've got the S38 motor almost completely disassembled. I was amazed and impressed at the quality of the head, and it's now with Devinder, awaiting delivery to the machinist who will do a valve job on it sometime in the coming months.

I just got back in from the garage where I took the oil pan off and began inspecting the crank and the big ends. So far everything looks very good. The bores have no major problems, the first main bearing I looked at did not look at all like an engine with 100K miles on it. The journal and bearings had no visible wear on them at all. I pulled the #6 piston, and again, the big end looked very good, and the piston itself looked pretty healthy too. I'll make some pictures and post them soon. It looks like I should be able to re-use the pistons, just get new rings and hone the cylinder. I'll have the crank polished and install new std. bearings and the bottom end will be done.

Hope everyone is back on board with us and hope that Spring finds you and your E9 in good condition.[/img]

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Finals wrap up this week; when I get home I will take pictures of and get a shipping quote for the head. Do you want anything else other than the head/cam/rockers? (ie. front timing cover, heater hose router in the back, etc)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
body shop?

TJ, I am also looking at trunk lid work. Can you share some info on the
body shop so I can consider them?

corsachili

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in replying..............I am not very happy with them right now as they've missed yet another deadline. I've never found a body shop that was professional enough to actually listen, act, and deliver. Frankly, their business acumen sucks. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it back, but if you can find a bodyshop that ISN'T these guys, I'd endorse that strategy heartily.

Malc

Reaction score
ER I'd help out but my shed is a bit full at the moment :wink:

On a more serious note, I think this applies in most countries. Word of mouth usually is the best wayof finding somebody good, often the "hole in the wall" place is a lot better than the shiny shop, simply because they don't need to advertise.....
Plus if the staff is over a certain age then your buying the skills too.
Finally, sometimes I feel it's better to take an alternative route such as buying a good second hand part, in this case trunk lid, and get it painted than trying to fix a rotten item.
Good luck

Malc

M5dCS

Reaction score
TJ, check your oil rings, if they are 2.5 mm wide you won't find rings for them anywhere, I put my pistons in the lathe and widened the groove out to 3.5mm. Use the Deves rings as the oil ring is a 3piece assembly and does not loose its tension like the stock 1 piece rings do. Supposedly the 2.5mm rings were 88 model year only and also Europe only, but I've seen several sets show up over here where they aren't supposed to. Keep the faith on the twin cam, it's spendy but all true performance comes at a cost. Call me if you need ssome parts sources. Leroy