Dash restoration options

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
With a badly cracked dash, what are people doing besides throwing a mat over it? I've seen leather and alcantara re-covers, but in most cases those are done on a dash that isn't in bad condition, since cracks usually show through since the surface isn't flat like it should be. How about some crazy ideas like filling and sanding flat, then using a coating similar to a bed liner? something with a slight texture but able to fill imperfections. Anyone try anything unconventional with success?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Go to bimmerforums and to the E24 section. Search for this. Bert Poliakoff has a place that will redo the entire thing and make it look like new. He is meticulous and swears by these guys....it ain't cheap, like 1400 bucks. .

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There is a place out west called Just Dashes. I have no experience with them but saw an online story about the place and they looked pretty good.

http://www.justdashes.com/Products.htm

Website lists Bavaria (and e9) as a product. Have no idea about cost/quality but perhaps others do...or give them a call and let us know the quote.

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Actually the dash in question is for an e12, and that isn't listed. I might call tomorrow to see if its a possibility though. I'd be interested to know what they would do with a cracked dash before the covering. They are offering dash "pads", so I need to find out what exactly that means in our case.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe that is the place I was speaking of so hold onto your hat when you call.

Gpdenver

Reaction score
I considered the options as mine has a few minor cracks. you can fill the cracks with a flexible filler made for it, then redye the dashboard. I would say it gets it to 90%
Here are the instructions http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1865940-DIY-Cracked-Dashboard-Repair-Pic-Heavy

I'm gonna run a flocked dash which is an option as well if you fill the cracks.
Here is an example on a 2002 dash:

dash12.JPG

Both are inexpensive options

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
That link looks very helpful. If my dash comes out like the one in the write-up I'll be very happy.