Wheel identification question

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why can't every 30 year old car with 230,000 miles be in that condition. I would buy that car as a daily driver! Chris, I like that style wheel, they were quite common on our coupes as an aftermarket wheel to replace the stock rims. Those who ordered (and paid for) the turbo style wheels usually kept them. I don't think they were offered by the dealer but I think they're considered period-correct- there are others who would know much more than I about that but I think they would look good on the coupe and probably be reasonably priced, heck buy the car for your kid and swap out the wheels :)

Hope things are well-

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
They appear to be the 16" BBS RS 3-piece wheels or copies of them. During the 80's and 90's, almost all wheel brands such as ARE, Enkei, MSW, and others offer the same crossed-spoked (basketweaves)rims that were patterned after the BBS RS's. These would look fabulous on any CS coupes.

Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Kind of like these BBS RS

Attachments

• Coupe1.jpg
    Coupe1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 107

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Drool. That reminds me to put the front lowering springs on my Coupe asap. Looks so much better. My nose is too high up, similar to the silver coupe in this thread.

Have you checked to see if you can merely remove the aluminum spacers BMW put into our cars to raise the headlights to meet US requirements?

The prior owner of my car had Carl Nelson lowering spring installed, but they still had those stupid aluminum rings. I was pretty amazed to find them in there. Maybe in California they were required to keep them (I can't imagine a shop in TX keeping them)?

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are those the BBS RSs I bought from you? Just put new tires on, waiting for Athena to come back from VSR to put them on.

Hey Andrew,
Indeed, those are the rims. The photo is from about 8 years ago when I bought the car. I think the BBS look great (which is why I sat on them for so long), but I had a set of Alpinas waiting in my basement for a car to come along...
The car was at "stock height" at the time of the photo but has since had a set of CN springs installed - along with a few other mods.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if you can merely remove the aluminum spacers BMW put into our cars to raise the headlights to meet US requirements?

The prior owner of my car had Carl Nelson lowering spring installed, but they still had those stupid aluminum rings. I was pretty amazed to find them in there. Maybe in California they were required to keep them (I can't imagine a shop in TX keeping them)?

I haven't checked. I'll do that next time I have it in the air.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They sit on top of strut bearing like a sandwich between it and top of fender, 5/8" thick aluminum, can't miss 'em if still there.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
They sit on top of strut bearing like a sandwich between it and top of fender, 5/8" thick aluminum, can't miss 'em if still there.

I must admit, my first reaction when I saw them was WTF is that?

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Mine must be in still. Between mine looking like its always accelerating, and Don saying he could put four fingers in her (the wheel gap that is), I'd be surprised if they weren't there.

If the roads are dry I'll have it at my buds shop tomorrow any way. I'll see if I have time to play with it.