Where are your mirrors? a survey

shanon

Reaction score
My brother and I noticed on our 2 E9 examples that our side rear view mirrors were installed indifferent locations. His a '73 US 3.0, had them below the roll up window where mine ('70 2800cs Euro), has them under the door vent window. Further, in photos of a couple Alpina CS's, they're higher and towards the front of the door.

Was this a Euro-US difference? early model vs. later? Monday vs Friday at the factory? Owner/builder preference/mod?

We definitely noticed better views/ergonomics when closer to the front of the door.

Just curious.......

-shanon

Honolulu

Reaction score
Rear view windows

My '73 US 3.0CSA has 'em just below the main window, but so the forward edge of the mount is almost in line with the rear edge of the wing windows.

Malc

Reaction score
Although currently in a box in the shed :oops: on both sides they are mounted just behind the quarter light window (wing window) I guess so that you can actually get the quarter light to open!

Same position for my 2002Tii, in fact they are the exact same mirrors
Malc

CookeD

Reaction score
I've noticed that as well... I don't know the answer, but my June '73 224-build has the mirrors in the "further back" location.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is "back", more or less lined up with the rear of the wing window. I get a nice 'pop' out of L6 and L7 each time I crank my head around to look in it, keeps me well aligned...

kurtd

Reaction score
My car is a euro model and is mounted forward on the door by the vent window.

While there are no absolutes when it comes to coupes I think in general the euro cars have the mirrors mounted forward like mine on the doors so that you look through the vent window to use them while US cars are aft of the vent window. Having driven cars with both I like the euro placement as it doesn't require you to move your head when trying to use the mirror.

-Kurt
72 3.0 cs

Bill Cutler

Reaction score
optics of mirrors

Actually if you do the maths on the optics of the side/wing mirrors, the closer it is to the eye, the wider the field of vision. However i think the positioning of the mirrors wasn't something that thought alot about..............
P.S. had my Csi registered today, 3 year resto finished. Well, my definition of finished is 99% anyway. I was very pleased to revisit the joy of driving a coupe again, and lots of other superlatives... you guys know what i'm talking about!

Mark B

Reaction score
My Talbots will be on the Fenders

4fuau11.jpg

It may not be the most practical, but on the 2000CS the Talbot 333's look really cool. But that will be the last thing I get around to. Engine and 5 sped swap are currently in the garage.

2j1otmt.gif

I got this pic off another forum, really cool. 60's/70's Skiing somewhere in the middle east? Iran?

shanon

Reaction score
Nice pic w/ the ski/roof rack!!
Now I have to find one.
Definitely will be more 'correct' than my Yakima rack for my future 'Sunday drive and rides'.
Anyone know who the Mfgs were for the vintage BMW/CS/E3/ roof racks??
Difficult to find?

oh no, not another obscure part quest....... :shock:
-shanon

tightbox

Reaction score
Any consensus on this after all this time? My coupe is an Italian euro import and the mirror is mounted almost flush with the front edge of the door. I have seen other euro cars with both placements.

tightbox

Reaction score
Thanks Chris! I had seen that answer in this thread, but I have also seen pictures of plenty of euro cars that don't adhere to this.