Type of Automatic Transmissions

<50miles

Reaction score
Hello

Could somebody please explain to me the different types of Automatic Transmissions that were available (ZF or Getrag) by year in these cars? Also, it seems that there are two different types of gear selectors for the automatic tranamissions. One is a handle and the other a knob. If so, why? And did they operate differently?

Thank you

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ZF was a three speed automatic transmission with no electronics (unlike the later 4 speed) and I think used the beautiful wood knob lever. The lever had a staggered pattern
instead of a linear click through the selections. I think third gear was 1:1 so it would rev the same as a Getrag 265 in 4th gear on the highway.

<50miles

Reaction score
Autos

Hello

Is it the same automatic tranmission that was used by Jaguar of the same vintage? I know that most everybody dislikes the auto, but which of the automatics is considered less bad?

Andrew

DerSchwede

Reaction score
2.5 and 2.8 L engines used the ZF 3HP20 up til 1975,

3.0 and 3.3 L engines used the Borg Waner BW65 from 1971 to 1975.

All models used the ZF 3HP22 from August 1975 which was used by BMW until 1983.

The only exception was the E3 2.8L (long) which got the BW65 at first and then turning to the ZF3HP22 in mid 75.

All of these Autoboxes are prone to deteriorate if the servicing gets neglected. They need an oilchange and new filter every 10,000 miles to stay in shape - regardless of what the book say. Otherwise they will be shot before getting 80,000 on the clock...

The BW65 boxes additionally need attention to the adjustment points as the box internally wears.

For a city car it's not that bad a choice IMHO, especially with the larger displacement M30 above 3000 cc.

Cheers
A

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
auto box options

I would love to have input from those in the know, Sfdon, et.al., what would be a good, solid, upgrade that could last another fifteen to twenty years...that doesn't have NLA parts as part of it's DNA...I realize that the shifter location may have to modify, but that isn't as scary to me as death by NLA spring-loaded O-ring...
Some would call it blastphemy, but sitting here with my 5 week old titanium left hip replacement, I am considering selling the manual coupe, and keeping the automatic e9 and the maunual 2002...Sadly, I know where my wife would vote...

Dave V. in NC

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Hello

Thank you for the information. I have one more question. When I was researching this topic in the archives I came across the following:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8536&highlight=knob

From this it appears that, at least in the americas, the T-handle shift mechanism implies the ZF and the knob type implies the BW.

Is this true?

Andrew

that is the same in the old country as far as I know. I have an extra T handle if someone is really in need of one.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Knobs for all the early ones according to my previous post. T-handles from Summer 1973 for all models regardless of gearbox. When the 3HP22 was introduced in August 75, the T-handle became more like an L-handle, like in the late 70/early 80 5-6-7 series.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
If you´re ambitious: Look at a slightly later 4speed auto from an E24 or E28. I think I remember there was a nicely restored CS with some modernisations and Alpina theme and a 4speed auto some time ago that was subject of some threads when it was up for sale.
Don´t know the details but it sounds dooable. The Box certainly bolts up nicely to the M30, maybe some electronics fiddling...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would love to have input from those in the know, Sfdon, et.al., what would be a good, solid, upgrade that could last another fifteen to twenty years...that doesn't have NLA parts as part of it's DNA...I realize that the shifter location may have to modify, but that isn't as scary to me as death by NLA spring-loaded O-ring...
Some would call it blastphemy, but sitting here with my 5 week old titanium left hip replacement, I am considering selling the manual coupe, and keeping the automatic e9 and the maunual 2002...Sadly, I know where my wife would vote...

Dave V. in NC

If you bring the car to NorCal I have a ZF guru I believe could put a fresh 4HP22.
4th gear is 0,81:1 which is less rpms than a manual in 5th gear.
Nothing lasts 20 years though, except hopefully the titanium hip..
I play soccer with a track runner who had hip replacement at 35 and it works fine for him.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a lot of reading when I bought my Bavaria with a BW65. These were used in Land Rovers back in the 70's as well and in LR posts they feel these are very reliable if cared for. First thing to remember is they take TYPE F fluid and all others cause some slippage. Every 6 months for 3 rotations I have changed the fluid with Redline Racing ATF. Slippage is gone and since I have 4 standard cars, I kinda like having this thing around.