Ventilation Tunnel Lining. Pollen Filter?

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Whilst having the centre console out I also removed the heater controls to change the bulbs, this makes it easy to get at the rectangular air transfer tunnel that takes air to the 2 vents in the heater panel. This tunnel is partly lined with material and also a fibrous under layer. However mine has parted company with the plastic tunnel, was blocking the tunnel and was also pretty dirty.
Anyone know what function the material was supposed to do? I wondered if it was noise reduction? Also, any suggestions for a replacement and then how to fix it to the car? Gaffa tape?
This is a non-air con car.

Has anyone fitted a pollen filter into this tunnel, if so can you tell me how and did it reduce the airflow excessively? Or is there a better place to fit a pollen filter upstream?
Photos to follow when I get a chance.
Thanks
C

VILLEocity

Reaction score
You would want a pollen filter before the fan rather than after. It makes a large difference in airflow I believe, plus the size of a filter is much larger than a duct, allowing less restriction for the amount of filtering it does.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have never seen a lining in the vent/heater ducts and I've had mine completely apart. There is a strip of felt like material where the rectangular duct joins the vent facia/controls and one in back.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I used 1/16" and 1/8" thick self adhesive felt plus some epoxy in a few places.

I would not put a pollen filter inside the box because these need to be changed, and removing the heater box is one of the coupe's P.I.T.A projects. You could fashion some custom cut filter material to fit on either side of the fan blower in the air plenum space behind the firewall (although it could get wet there). Wedge it underneath the black metal cover over the fan intake on both sides?

Chris - Mine had a piece of red felt the full depth of the rectangular plastic duct. At the time of disassembly it was loose.

Stefan

Reaction score
Adding pics for the lining inside the ventilation tunnel.
Interesting combination of colours for the lining and I wonder how the designer or Fritz the car builder was thinking in this case :)

Attachments

• lining inside out.jpg
    lining inside out.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 153
  • red and brown lining.jpg
    red and brown lining.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 141

dascoupeguy

Reaction score
Need help with A/C vent (directional vanes)

Hi... did a dumb thing... won't say what, but I am faced with needing to remove the movable bank of directional vanes that control the vertical and horizontal air flow.

I had to take apart an old Behr A/C on my tii years ago, but I can't remember how.

I think the whole assembly snaps into the upper console with integrated plastic retainers on the left and right.

Can one of you guys help me out? I'm sure I need to remove the side panels to access the pivot points, but after that... HELP!

DCG

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding the pollen filter, I used a small portion of one of the pleated 'fiber' type furnace filters to make one for a Porsche 928 a few years ago. I made a wire frame from a coat hanger that was just a few mm smaller than the opening between the fan and the heater core/AC evaporator. Wrapped the filter material around this and glued the edges. Installed it in the path and removed it about every 2 months to clean it. I was quite surprised at how much dirt etc. it collected.

Before the installation, I thoroughly cleaned the AC evaporator fins with detergent and water. They had become 'FILTHY' over the 10+ years of use without any air filtration. The cooling (and heater airflow) was improved significantly by this.

I'm going to rebuild my 'dead' AC system over the winter, and I'm sure I'll do the same 'cleaning and filtering' procedure on the E9. A filter in each side of the air pathway for the fan should be easy to construct and provide good filtering with minimal restriction.

dascoupeguy

Reaction score
moveable vent

My concern is getting that moveable 'register' with the pivot points out of the housing w/o taking the whole thing out of the center console... do-able?

I can see from one of the pics the way it is mounted... again getting to it1

thanks. DCG

dascoupeguy

Reaction score
more questions...

Chris, thanks for the link.

Can the register housing be removed ( the whole panel including the heater control fascia)
w/o removing the slider controls? (are the sliders/levers attached to the dash itself or to the register housing?)

I know there are two screws/bolts on each side of the fascia that secure it to the dash (this is seen in the pics) If those 4 screws are removed that whole fascia plate should just slide out...?
(after removing the control 'knobs'...)

Damn, I just can't remember. I did not take this apart during the recent restoration.

Thanks for input. DCG

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, once facia is loosened, pull it forward, remove two slotted screws on top of plate with levers and it comes off. Much easier to deal with what remains.