Opinions about an E46? -Palm Springs

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
opinions are like...

My wife has a 325i, an 03, which has been a delight...Only issue is that the non-sport seats just ain't great...the sports seats that are an option are very good, and we have even looked for a pair, but the leather is always worn out on the bolster, and thus good, lightly used examples are rare...and the bmw leather is not great to start with...That said, it' a very good, desireable car...Peter Egan in Road & Track even wrote half-way recently about shopping for one..If the mileage is correct, that's a premium car, with a strong, but not unfair price...I wouldn't be afraid of a higher mileage, less expensive one, however...
Only issue right now is airbag recall, part two. Your mileage may vary...

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know these cars well, this one is at a serious premium because of the low miles, and will still need most of the work that a high mileage example would need (unless it's already done). Because of age, not miles (13 years isn't exactly new), all of the plastic and rubber under the hood should be replaced. It probably also has a water pump with a plastic impeller, so that needs to be upgraded (and might as well trash the 13-year old thermostat while you're in there).

Unfortunately a lot of it is under the intake, and is a PITA to get to. Whenever I buy an E46, the first thing I do, regardless of mileage, is replace the radiator, expansion tank, PS reservoir, PS hoses, vacuum lines, and all plastic tubes under the intake. If it were me, I'd buy a 100k mile example for $4K, perform the above work, and pocket $5K.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that is a very fair price for a great car. The cooling system is no big deal to do. I wouldn't bother changing the rad on an e46 unless it is bad. the hoses, thermostat and expansion tank should be changed. I would think it might need a bit of stuff but the 330i is a great car. Nice power, big brakes. I have put 260,000 KM on my 325 it. The one slight deficiency is that the suspension wears out every 60K on our roads.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've not owned an e46, but when visiting Mario at VSR last month we got to talking about his M3 and about stress fractures in these vehicles. Apparently, the poor condition of US roads (to put it generously) was not something adequately taken into consideration when BMW designed the e46. Thus, driving on US roads induces what was thought to be a lifetime of stresses on the vehicle structure in a relatively short period of time.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I know these cars well, this one is at a serious premium because of the low miles, and will still need most of the work that a high mileage example would need (unless it's already done). Because of age, not miles (13 years isn't exactly new), all of the plastic and rubber under the hood should be replaced. It probably also has a water pump with a plastic impeller, so that needs to be upgraded (and might as well trash the 13-year old thermostat while you're in there).

Unfortunately a lot of it is under the intake, and is a PITA to get to. Whenever I buy an E46, the first thing I do, regardless of mileage, is replace the radiator, expansion tank, PS reservoir, PS hoses, vacuum lines, and all plastic tubes under the intake. If it were me, I'd buy a 100k mile example for $4K, perform the above work, and pocket $5K.

+1 The weak link in most older BMW's is the plastic cooling components. Its not that expensive to replace them up front and be more confident in the car. Palm Springs? Not sure he will end up in that area but it gets REALLY hot there. :cool:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've not owned an e46, but when visiting Mario at VSR last month we got to talking about his M3 and about stress fractures in these vehicles. Apparently, the poor condition of US roads (to put it generously) was not something adequately taken into consideration when BMW designed the e46. Thus, driving on US roads induces what was thought to be a lifetime of stresses on the vehicle structure in a relatively short period of time.

It happens in E46's but more prevalent in the M3's (more torque). Of all the E46's I've owned, and friend's E46's, I haven't seen the problem, although, the '01 M3 that I just bought earlier this year already has the rear subframe mounts repaired/strengthened.

Dan

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
+1 The weak link in most older BMW's is the plastic cooling components. Its not that expensive to replace them up front and be more confident in the car. Palm Springs? Not sure he will end up in that area but it gets REALLY hot there. :cool:

The e39s suffer from this same problem; plastic cooling system components that deteriorate with heat cycles. I replaced the entire cooling system, including the radiator, when I purchased my e39 wagon.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
A good one

The stress fractures are probably not an issue in a car from the smooth California roads and in a car that has never been tracked.

Do all the cooling system stuff. The parts really aren't that expensive. Radiator was under 400 for the part for example.

Donald Osborne of Sports Car Market Magazine lives in Palm Springs.
Perhaps he could check the car or point you to the right person.

Scott

jefftepper

Reaction score
The stress fractures are probably not an issue in a car from the smooth California roads and in a car that has never been tracked.

Scott

As a point of reference, for a number of political and fiscal reasons over the past 3 decades, even the newest Northern California roads are as pock marked as any deferred maintenance road bed can be. When driving my sons' Madzaspeed3 on our local freeways, the jolt of some expansion strips is so severe I swear I can hear the car groan in pain!!!!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A coworker is about to put his 2001 330ci convertible for sale.
100 k miles, first owner. NorCal car, Palo Alto based. I can find more details.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for all insights. I'm schooled in some basic E46 needs now. But son is still considering his options.... and didn't nibble in the end...