thompkinsonbmwparts.com

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are closing their parts website. Just got this today. Bummer.

06/29/15 3:35 PM - David, We are discontinuing the website and have cancelled this order. The charges will disappear in 1-3 days. We apologize for the inconvenience. You can always call us at 1-800-734-0782. We are open M-F 7:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. Eastern. Thank you. Andrew

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
bummer is right ... they were the best, and gave such good pricing. who else do people use?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I found their MSRP pricing to be very accurate with BMW list ... just with a discount ranging from 20 to 30% depending on the type of part. for instance, when i looked up the part number on Penske, i wrote the part number and their price down ... when i went onto tomkinson + put in the part #, up came the list price and their price.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cancelled order?

I guess,the question would be if they still have a parts department shutting down the website should have nothing to do with an order already placed. I think what they are doing is increasing the prices that are given on the website and increasing them to what every other dearler is charging. I have been in retail for 40 years and there is only one way to stay in business is to make a profit on what you sell. If you try to beat your competition by lower- ing your profit,it will only work if you do twice as much business. First selling BMW parts at a lower price than the competition just isn't the way to do it. First of all customers,like myself and all members of all groups in the country,who own older classic cars that represent an extremly small fraction of the market can not support the volume needed. Secondly the customers who own newer BMWs are not usually qualified to repair their cars and in most cases neither do they want to. How many of us would want,or are capable of working on a 5 year old BMW that was $60 to $80 thousand dollars in our own garage. Not only do we not have the proper tools but also special equipment is needed to diagnose the problem.
I'm sure you are getting bored with this so I will quit now and hope I made sense of it all.
Koopman

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you know, they could have just changed their discount percentages with nobody being the wiser. remember it wasn't a stated percentage across the board. we also don't know if this was just the older models or if it was every model. the e28 / e30 crowd has plenty of DIY guys ... the e34 / e36 / e39 crowd ??

so the question remains - who else has a decent priced source for original BMW parts?

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've used Steve at BluntTech for many years now.
Prompt friendly service from an actual Bimmer enthusiast.
Very competitive pricing, I've found. Steve will source new oem parts from Germany, too.

www.blunttech.com

--I have no affiliation, and am not receiving any payola from Steve or BluntTech for this post. Just passing along a solid resource for parts at good prices.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have used Tisher for many years. I have also used Bluntech. He screwed up an order I made, but boy was he ever quick to respond and correct the situation. I hold that in high regard.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tomkinson prices were low partly because they did not do phone orders. You could call and ask for availability etc, but then would be sent to their site to order. I am not in the business but always wondered if tons of phone calls helps or hurts business. On one hand, potential new customers on the other, many who take your time and go elsewhere.

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
I have used Tomkinson for both classic and new BMW parts. I loved working with those guys. They sent me Pebra BMW logo dimple key blanks for 11 bucks each along with factory parts for my e53's.

If they quit their online business, it will be a drag.....

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I spoke with them this AM. They are no longer accepting orders via the web site or via the phone. Unless you are local and can pick it up, they wont sell to you. They said their online efforts have gone from making money to loosing money due to several reasons, but lead by online fraud.

G

Reaction score
Anybody using Maximillian these days ? I built my entire 2002 using their parts including a new factory engine. This was between 1997 and 2002 when Paul Wegweiser was working there .Paul gave a triple AAA service and then unfortunately remember things going downhill for that company once Paul left ...:(

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does ECS sell everything that BMW offers?

I just went to ECS and plugged in a random E9 part number (left door seal) just to see what came up. They do show it as available with 15% off of MSRP. Given their shipping policy they look like a good alternative.

Over the course of restoring my coupe I used Tomkinson, Tischer, Penske and Wlloth & Nesch. All seem to have very good customer service and pricing that varied from 10% at Penske with a CCA number to 30% at Tomkinson. Luckily, I managed to source a new front bumper cover for an E30 M3 from Tomkinson just before they closed down. That was a substantial savings.

I haven't used Blunt much but I did sell him a '91 318is a few years ago and was very impressed with the way that went. I know the 02 guys hold him in high regard and frankly I don't think any of the independent sellers are going to make huge profits. It appears they do it out of a love of the hobby and marque and for that we all owe them a huge thanks.