Toronto's new speed limit

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Politicians who hate cars just voted to switch our speed limit to 18.2 MPH on most city streets and will sync the red lights accordingly. I had the use of a Kawasaki ZX-14 R for a couple of days last week. It does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and will hit 85 in first gear. I didn't find this bike much fun to drive, less so now.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That equals just about 30 kilometers per hour.
Remember, lights synced for 30 kph are also synced for 60 kph! :twisted:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That equals just about 30 kilometers per hour.
Remember, lights synced for 30 kph are also synced for 60 kph! :twisted:

Hmmmn, hadn't thought of that. Hopefully my 31 cc weed wacker bike doesn't get a ticket.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At that 0-60 could you not blast through four or five as they go from green to red and still be legal? What fun.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
At that 0-60 could you not blast through four or five as they go from green to red and still be legal? What fun.

Unfortunately I don't think I will ever feel comfortable flooring that vehicle. I have floored 1000cc sports bikes, but this thing just feels like you have death at your command at all times. Kawasaki has decided to up the ante on their overkill machine with the new KW H2R. This one has a mere 300 HP from the Supercharged and intercooled engine. Good for 110MPH in first and 260 in 6th.

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My experience driving into DC over the past 25 years is that hostility to motor vehicles is strong and getting worse by the day. I wrote an article for the BMW car club magazine on the control exerted over my driving as I head into DC. Every single left hand turn I encounter once I leave my community is controlled by a light. The first one I encounter entails almost a four minute wait while it cycles through and controls everyone's movement. Its no wonder people pull out their phones or read the newspaper with that much down time.

I used to think motor vehicles had the right of way when approaching an intersection with a green light. In DC, I now routinely find pedestrians and/or bicycles entering the cross walk as I approach. And despite bicycle lanes, cyclists routinely ride in traffic. Pedestrians casually walk into traffic. And then there are the cell phone users, wandering about oblivious to the dangers around them. And, of course, in DC any stretch of uncontrolled road beyond a certain length has a speed camera dispensing tickets (with an appeals process a Soviet bureaucrat would envy).

Driving in a major metropolitan area is a miserable experience, and it is going to continue to deteriorate.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My experience driving into DC over the past 25 years is that hostility to motor vehicles is strong and getting worse by the day. I wrote an article for the BMW car club magazine on the control exerted over my driving as I head into DC. Every single left hand turn I encounter once I leave my community is controlled by a light. The first one I encounter entails almost a four minute wait while it cycles through and controls everyone's movement. Its no wonder people pull out their phones or read the newspaper with that much down time.

I used to think motor vehicles had the right of way when approaching an intersection with a green light. In DC, I now routinely find pedestrians and/or bicycles entering the cross walk as I approach. And despite bicycle lanes, cyclists routinely ride in traffic. Pedestrians casually walk into traffic. And then there are the cell phone users, wandering about oblivious to the dangers around them. And, of course, in DC any stretch of uncontrolled road beyond a certain length has a speed camera dispensing tickets (with an appeals process a Soviet bureaucrat would envy).

Driving in a major metropolitan area is a miserable experience, and it is going to continue to deteriorate.

Just add self driving cars and a snow storm into the mix

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, Google has been testing their cars in DC as well. They had space in our building and would park their vehicles in our garage.

I can only imagine what driving will be like as driverless cars start to appear in large numbers and work through their growing pains.