What a blast - E9's are great!!

Dave B

Reaction score
Today was the first day my CSi legally came out the garage! All taxed, MOT'd ( tested ), and insured. A lovely warm ( for Scotland! ) clear sunny day, so I eventually took that often discussed trip up the east coast and paid a visit to Malc, to meet him and view " the bucket" for real.

What a lovely drive up the dual carraigeway - slow cruising about 70 / 80mph, drawing some mystified "what the hell type of car is that" looks from the baseball capped boy racers.

Got to Malc's place. What a nice guy - as helpful in real as he is on the forum. Had a look at his project in the garage - I just know she will be a beaut.

Apology part - sorry Malc! - while I was there Mrs Malc returned home in her lovely 2002, and spied my CSi! My impression is that poor Malc is gonna be locked into that garage until "bucket" become beauty - and Mrs Malc's daily driver!

Topped it all off with a blast down the coast road. The road winds a bit in places but got some great views over the North Sea. Spring is here. Yee-haaaah!

Malc

Reaction score
Well I have been allowed in from the shed for five minutes.... :wink:

Dave turned up in his Csi, then "her indoors", She didn't dribble but I did!
Thanks for coming up Dave, however your right, welding will accelerate!
Quite a little car fest on the NE coast today.....
With me welding the bucket, back panel boot floor finished today, rear arches next, scary :roll:
Iain fixing the back brakes on his Integrale, ah Italian! :D
Dave paying a visit..... 8)
Les (my wife) shopping, yes the Tii is a daily driver, (Dave is right it will be mine once the bucket is done)

And if you look carefully you can spot the obligatory cups of tea!

FYI
We tried the steering wheel swap but my 1986 E28 has a finer set of splines compared to the E9

Finally... yes that is blue sky over the North Sea !
Malc

100_0626.gif

Malc

Reaction score
Is that a Lancia Delta Integrale?

NICE CARS!

Sure is. I have one that I used to Stage Rally, currently "retired" and awaiting rebuilding. I also have a 16valve in "kit" form. Basically everything is available, but I need a new shell.

Ok, Ok Bucket first then the other toys.......
Malc

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
It's certainly a day for good news

Nice one there, Dave,she definitely looks great! I did'nt realise Scotland EVER saw blue skies??assume the slight breeze was registering Force 8 on the Beaufort Scale.
On my side,my car finally moved today of it's own volition, albeit only out and then back into the garage, but she did so, nice not to have to push her everywhere.
Incidentally Malc, there were two timing marks on the cam (Ex E3 3.3), and having reinstalled the Head for the 2nd time, discovered that the Piano top pistons fit around a nice little Bay in the Head, the half-moon pistons dont!! I was locking up on the point, not the valves.
20 minutes of careful nibbling and Voila!!
Amazing how old age affects your powers of observation.
So tomorrow we try her on the road.

Herself was heard to comment that it would be nice to have a Husband again.
How do I tell her???Any advice?
After a total of five head installations for a blown head gasket I hope it will be a looong time before it comes off again.
Regards
dax

Philip Slate

Reaction score
Enough with the great pictures and stories of fun and frolic. You all are gettin' me real tempted to buy an E9 for the street even though doing so would have the Misses kicking my ass (arse) from here to Tuesday. Darn you and your beautiful cars! (I'm lovin' every picture and story)

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
What kind of seats are those?[/quote]

Recaro SRD apparently. Came with the car - very comfortable as long as you are on the lean side of average.

DC

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Malc,

That's the first time I've seen a coupe with two tone paint. Very nice! was that a factory option?

Len

Malc

Reaction score
That's the first time I've seen a coupe with two tone paint. Very nice! was that a factory option?

Len

Len,
If your referring to Dave's Csi it's not two tone, it has a vinyl roof. This was very common for Csi and CS models in the UK from about 73 onwards. I'm not sure but BMW (UK) may have specified them for all cars imported.
HTH
Malc

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Vinyl Roof

As I understand there was an import tax rebate for local content/ labour
So a lot of the UK cars had vynil fitted locally after arrival
BMW home factory also had some fitted on demand when they became popular, but that too was outsourced in Germany

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Vinyl roofs and/or two-tone paints on US E-9's?

Not in my 35 years of Coupe experience have I seen any E-9's so dolled out that were imported through Hoffman Motors--Chrysler and GM cars with vinyl roofs and many early 50's and 60's with two-tone paints--Yes!!

BUT owners have taken MANY Liberties with these cars over the past 3+ decades--so even PINK is a possibility for one that may have been given as a prize to the cosmetics lady meeting her sales goals--instead of the usual Buick!
FWIW