I got problems! Guidance please, if at all possible.

Dave L

Reaction score
although this is not my e9, it's all I've got while I am out here in Orange County staying in a corporate apartment. I have very limited tools....and a huge pain in the neck! My 635 (which is a 1985 German market Euro model, if that matters) has had two fuel lines completely disintegrate. Luckily, I am the type that carries spare hoses and the like. I replaced one with no issues. the second line, which went a few days later is much more difficult. It is small. the hose comes off a nipple at the bottom rear of the fuel rail goes down and through a hole in the manifold (?) (I do know that that damn thing was HOT!) the hose then turns and connects to something like a starter injector (?) the entire hose was only about 6 inches long. I got the old hose off, weaved through the hole a new (much longer piece of hose and got it just barely on to the nipple at the starter injector (?). the space/opening to work in there is extremely small and I can't get any leverage to force the hose on any more (than just barely on). It seemed secure enough at first to allow me to get off the 5 frwy, but as pressure built up in the hose it started leaking at an alarming rate again. I was able to get to the big parking garage here at this condo complex and am letting the car cool down and I will try with all the tools I can get my hands on to get this hose on secure. If anyone knows the hose I am talking about, is there a trick to it. Generally hoses that can fail are not this difficult to replace, or is there some special tool to grab a hose and slide it on in a tight space? This is making me crazy and I am afraid I am going to combust.

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you have a bad fuel pressure regulator, and the pressure is too high.

Try turning on the ignition and manually opening the AFM vane (this should start the fuel pump). You shoudl heafr fuel flowing through the fuel rail. If noth thenthe FPR is stuck and this is causing the fuel leaks. It is unlikely that you would have multiple fuel lines fail, so I suspec the fuel pressure is way too high.

As for the cold start valve line, you just have to wrestle it on and clamp it.

S

Dave L

Reaction score
fixed!

It definitely was fuel line hose that failed. It appeared that those two lines has not been replaced in the past 21 years, they just crumbled under with the slightest squeeze. I was able (with a little patience) to get the new hose on with my finger tips and some WD40 I used as a lube. Now I just have a vacuum hose that has come off in the process and I cant figure out where it connects. At least I can drive down to Crystal Cove tomorrow and someone should have a car there with the same motor and I'll take a peek at how the vac hoses are routed. This fall its time for a major TLC on this car with the way she’s been acting up lately. I've been putting all my attention into the 2800cs, I guess the old girl is jealous.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fuel line replacement

You're probably aware already but be careful not to use hose that is not compatible with petrol. Such hoses can degrade within a year or less and cause extremely dangerous conditions as well as muck up your fuel delivery system.

Dave L

Reaction score
back on the road!

All fixed, I did use specific fuel line hose, got it all attached and clamped down. Found a nice fellow this morning who let me look at his 635 motor for the routing of the vacuum hose that had come off and all is now well.