5 Speed Tranny

slyedog

Reaction score
I have just purchased a CS and discovered that the tranny was ran dry before the purchase. What 5-speed tranny would work, the current is a Getrag 225 and the speedo cable is not attached, in fact there is a soft plug in place of the gear and that is the source of the fluid leak. What would the Getrag numbers be?

Thanks,

Doug

corsachili

Reaction score
Tranny

Hi Doug,

You want a 265 Getrag for your CS. Bullet proof, reliable, fairly easy to find. You'll need to shorten your driveshaft, but it's not a hard job to do if you're mechanically inclined.

corsachili

Reaction score
Tranny

Hi Doug,

You want a 265 Getrag for your CS. Bullet proof, reliable, fairly easy to find. You'll need to shorten your driveshaft, but it's not a hard job to do if you're mechanically inclined.

slyedog

Reaction score
Tranny

Will I need to do something special for the hook up for the speedo? Thanks for the info!

Doug

slyedog

Reaction score
Tranny

I have a choice of two wrecking yards near me, one has a tranny out of a 633 the other out of a 533. Does the tranny have markings to indicate it is the 265/6 which I believe is the tranny most recommend. Most are recommending against the 265/5 dog leg do you agree?

Doug

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doug,
The 265 is distinguished by a separate bell housing and a 3 section transmission case. If the transmissions you are looking at have integral bell housings, they are 260's. They will work, but you will have no option for speedo drive.

265's are common in '79 and newer e12 5 series, and in e24 six series cars from about 1980-1982. 6's after that have 260's and only a few 1985 e28 5 series cars had the 265. e30 M3's use the 265 as well, but are not easy to find in the u-pull-it.

If the 265 you find has no speedo drive, it's a pretty easy job to install it.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.rodang.ac.se/~fresko/02pics/Getrag_265_2.jpg

andrey

Reaction score
If the transmissions you are looking at have integral bell housings, they are 260's. They will work, but you will have no option for speedo drive.

Can anyone think of a way to make a pickup (VR or the like, similar to what's inside E28 diffs)? I'll be more than happy to build a small circuit that takes a pickup signal and drives your speedometer cable via a small DC motor. You can then use my board with whatever gearbox you feel like, 260, 280, whatever...

slyedog

Reaction score
Tranny

Tony, I have been reading some old threads on Roadfly and there is discussion on the 265/6 being the better tranny than a 265/5 dog leg how do I tell the difference between the two?

Doug

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Re: Tranny

slyedog said:
Tony, I have been reading some old threads on Roadfly and there is discussion on the 265/6 being the better tranny than a 265/5 dog leg how do I tell the difference between the two?

Doug

They look the same on the outside, the shift pattern is the obvious difference. Dogleg close ratio pattern is

l-H with R left and up, 1 left and down, and 2 through 5 on the H.

OD pattern is

'-H-' with R left and up, 5 right and up, 1-4 on the H.

The other way to tell is if you find a CR dogleg in a junkyard, you'll immediately win the lottery, your golf handicap will drop to 0, your boss will promote you to be his boss, and gorgeous twins from all corners of the planet will want to sleep with you. And you'll be able to sell it and buy 4 OD boxes.

slyedog

Reaction score
Tranny

Tony, thanks now I know better... kinda sounds like looking for Alpina parts for a 02. I tried to call you but no answer I would like to try and meet sometime and pick your brain on other items too.

Doug

Honolulu

Reaction score
one more thing

it needs to be said, since no one else has mentioned it, that the shorter driveshaft you'll need can be one from an auto trans CS. Works just fine; the telescoping section at the center bearing can be adjusted for overall length.

Just don't take the front dshaft section completely off the rear section without marking their correct relative rotational positions. Not many places can balance the two pieces together.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I have also found that the driveshaft from the E12 fits. I have it on my CS, no cutting required.

With the Getrag 265 as far as I am aware, the 265 always had a mechanical spedo pickup. The rest of the time, BMW used a Getrag 260, liek the one shown in the picture above. The two are externally identical, based on what I have seen, except for the mechanical spedo drive. I got my 265 from an 81 528e, and it has the spedo drive. Metric Mechanic has a transmission application guide on their website; it shows which cars had the 260 and which had the 265.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.metricmechanic.com/m51.gif

They also have speed vs RPM charts for all the transmissions used, it's a great site overall.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The rest of the time, BMW used a Getrag 260, liek the one shown in the picture above.

The picture I posted above is a 265, not a 260. Note the removable bell housing.

They also have speed vs RPM charts for all the transmissions used, it's a great site overall

There's a better reference for gear ratios and speed on the CS Registry website, created by Bruce Leggett. It allows you to input the final drive ratio and tire sizes so you get accurate calculations. Almost all Getrag OD 5 speeds BMW used on M30's have the same gear ratios, so the real variable is final drive.