72 Bavaria - Project

Goodnight85

Reaction score
I picked up this 1972 Bavaria from Michigan a few months back and drove it home to the northern Virginia area. Started doing some little projects only to notice the headgasket had an external leak. So now I'm deep into an engine conversion: 1988 E28 M30B34 and 5 speed trans swap.

I bought a donor 1988 E28 that had everything I needed, including the limited slip diff!

I will continue working and maybe start a small build thread. I am the shop foreman of an independent Porsche/BMW shop, so I have plenty of space and tools to get the job done. I may be coming here for some advice though.

Cheers

Attachments

• Bavaria.JPG
    Bavaria.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 186

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bav engine upgrade

Welcome, very cool- there are some "swap doctors" here and your build should be fun. One of our Houstonians recently did a fantastic swap into his Bav. Hopefully he'll notice your post and contact you- I know he travels allot.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
If you are going to swap the E28 rear axle assembly into the Bav it's much easier if you have the differential cover of an early 80's E28. The older ones have the diff mount centered on the cover and it will bolt right in on the stock E3 mounts. A little massaging of the brake lines, weld a couple of brackets on for the E3 sway bar, lengthen the e-brake tubes about 9" or so and Bob's your uncle... I did mine in my driveway in a day.