New '74 owner needs bumpers new vs. old.

brian c

Reaction score
Just got my '74 big bumpered beauty. One of the projects on my list is replacing the bumpers. I've seen the new ss asian bumper repros which look nice but apparently need some fiddling to fit and don't come with impact strips. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to look for old complete bumpers (which seem hard to find) or go new and then have the possibly harder task and expense of finding new impact strips for them. Any leads on used bumpers or a source for impact strips would be great. I'm excited to finally have one of these great cars, let the games (and expenses) begin!

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just got my '74 big bumpered beauty. One of the projects on my list is replacing the bumpers. I've seen the new ss asian bumper repros which look nice but apparently need some fiddling to fit and don't come with impact strips. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to look for old complete bumpers (which seem hard to find) or go new and then have the possibly harder task and expense of finding new impact strips for them. Any leads on used bumpers or a source for impact strips would be great. I'm excited to finally have one of these great cars, let the games (and expenses) begin!

Try Carl Nelson for used bumpers and impact strips, unless you aren't in the US. Might help your quest if you add your location.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Impact strips: I got a complete set from an online BMW dealer. I would not reuse old impact strips unless they clean up as new

Impact strip retaining strips (the metal strips that are riveted onto the bumpers). Viet SS bumpers come with these.

Bumpers: I think I figured out why my SS front bumper seems to have the fender hole in the wrong spot. I think it's designed to use the 73-only front plastic end piece. However, the rear SS bumper goes on like a 72 and earlier bumper. So, they must have gotten a mixed set to use as their templates.

If I did it over and didn't care about an extra $3k, I'd get some used ones, have them straightened, and rechromed ($4k to $4500 all said and done).

But, for a budget minded resto, I think the SS bumpers are okay.

tmason

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum and when you get chance post some photo's.I have a 74 and I have collected the bumpers over the years so be patient.(this is my winter's project)If yours is an Auto be sure to collect the 5spd conversion parts because these are getting hard to find as well.
Tim

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Brian-
Nice to know there's another CS in the area, looking forward to seeing your coupe, post some pics. I'm in Sammamish, with a '74 also.
Let me know if i can be of any help....

steve

brian c

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward the ss bumpers as it seems the the rubber impact strips aren't as hard to come by as I thought, just expensive. Also wondering what people are doing for the license plate lights when doing this mod. Do you use the bumper ones and the '74 body mounted ones or do you get a new panel for the back of the car to delete the side lights? Cover plates for holes?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward the ss bumpers as it seems the the rubber impact strips aren't as hard to come by as I thought, just expensive. Also wondering what people are doing for the license plate lights when doing this mod. Do you use the bumper ones and the '74 body mounted ones or do you get a new panel for the back of the car to delete the side lights? Cover plates for holes?

If you choose to keep the license plate lights on the panel, I have recreated the cover plates

lazytv

Reaction score
If you choose to keep the license plate lights on the panel, I have recreated the cover plates

It would be great to have some sort of directory or current listing of all the parts being reproduced by members on this board or perhaps members listing them on 'http://etsy.com' and tagging them 'e9coupe' or some such thing.

Just a thought.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also there was a forum member who collapsed the big bumpers in a recent thread (I don't remember who) and it looked quite good to me. Something to consider if there is a small chance of dinging these unprotected cars (With the small bumpers)

alanmcg

Reaction score
Welcome

Welcome to the forum Brian, and to our growing Seattle coupe contingent. I have a 74, did the euro bumper conversion, there are a ton of threads on this - you have a lot of reading to do - search on 'big bumper' or 'euro bumper conversion'. Happy to help if needed.

floridabmx

Reaction score
I have a coupe with complete euro bumpers i would be willing to sell.

- Ian

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cool, another Seattle coupe owner! Seems to getting larger by the month! Pretty soon I won't be able to use the "these cars are rare" excuse with my wife...