LIME ROCK HISTORICS (this weekend)

duane_sword

Reaction score
Folks in the North East, if you are thinking of attending the Lime Rock Vintage Racing weekend please come find a bunch of us E9 guys and BMW bigots.

http://limerockhistorics.com/

We have a small camp setup at the top of the hill, near the skid-pan area, on the inside of the West Bend sweeper (http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/CT/images/lrp.gif)

We are expecting a good turn-out of E9s (amongst 800 other fine cars) this weekend!

Send me a private message and I can provide my mobile

Or, send me an email to [email protected]

doubledutch

Reaction score
Limerock

Folks in the North East, if you are thinking of attending the Lime Rock Vintage Racing weekend please come find a bunch of us E9 guys and BMW bigots.

http://limerockhistorics.com/

We have a small camp setup at the top of the hill, near the skid-pan area, on the inside of the West Bend sweeper (http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/CT/images/lrp.gif)

We are expecting a good turn-out of E9s (amongst 800 other fine cars) this weekend!

Send me a private message and I can provide my mobile

Or, send me an email to [email protected]

See you there on Saturday, taking the coupe this year, I think (hope) she is road worthy!

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm planning to be there Sunday.

Sorry I could not make it up Saturday, but I'm bringing a client with me on Sunday.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

duane_sword

Reaction score
Sorry I could not make it up Saturday, but I'm bringing a client with me on Sunday.

Look forward to seeing you and your stunning coupe Michael!

I will try to ensure the E9 crew are behaving on Sunday... our BAC levels should have dropped by around 10am Sunday morning from the festivities I am sure that will ensue on Saturday night.

Hey the formal Entrant Welcome Package and tickets sure are fancy this year aren't they!?.... I know why, given Bentley is the official sponsor this year :)

TodB

Reaction score
A bit of silver for E9s this weekend at LRP with Duane taking second, Michael taking third, both behind a 911S restore that was completed last week. Hard to compete with that.

A good time had by all all weekend. Plans already being made for next year!

Last edited:

duane_sword

Reaction score
2nd to a concours 911 restored days earlier...

Three coupes in the class tagged as "Speed & Style Redux," GT cars 1970 to 1985, marvelous, mile-eating monsters, with 15 cars in the class including 2 x DeTomaso Panteras, several Porsche 911s, couple of Corvettes, Lancia, Citroen, Ferrari 512, Volvo, a Lotus Europa, and three BMW E9s including Tod Bryant (2800CS), Michael Balaban (3.0CS) and my coupe.

Some photos below.

1st = Porsche 911
2nd = 1974 BMW 3.0CS Alpina (Duane Sword)
3rd = 1973 BMW 3.0CS (Michael Balaban)

Attachments

• Group Photo LimeRock 2014.jpg
    Group Photo LimeRock 2014.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Balaban_1973_LimeRock_2014.jpg
    Balaban_1973_LimeRock_2014.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Bryant_1970_LimeRock_2014.jpg
    Bryant_1970_LimeRock_2014.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Sword_1974_LimeRock_2014.jpg
    Sword_1974_LimeRock_2014.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 2nd_2014_LimeRock.jpg
    2nd_2014_LimeRock.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 191

duane_sword

Reaction score
the tinted high-beams - just to be different (not for purists)

what is the deal with those tinted high beams?

Back 5-6 years ago while traveling on business in Germany I went to an obscure museum with all kinds of German built car marques including BMW. They had a couple of E9s with the amber fog lights and high-beams, and I liked the look of it. Apparently there was a year in France and Germany that the government road authorities tried to enforce the amber lights.... didn't work out I guess.... but I really liked the look of them, and given changing lights is fairly easy to do I wanted to have a change.

Stan - you know me, I am not the E9 purist like you are. I respect all breeds of E9 enthusiasts but I am definitely someone that wants the full Alpina sports looks and feel and more aggressive driving experience for track days etc.

So that's the story on the ambers... they may stay or they may be a temporary affair... we'll see but for now I am very happy and couldn't give a **** what anyone else thinks; unless of course they like them too :)))

Attachments

• 1974_BMW_30_CSL_E9_Coupe_Ambers.jpg
    1974_BMW_30_CSL_E9_Coupe_Ambers.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 184

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are they street legal? I'd get a ticket here just for having them, not even turned on.

Back 5-6 years ago while traveling on business in Germany I went to an obscure museum with all kinds of German built car marques including BMW. They had a couple of E9s with the amber fog lights and high-beams, and I liked the look of it. Apparently there was a year in France and Germany that the government road authorities tried to enforce the amber lights.... didn't work out I guess.... but I really liked the look of them, and given changing lights is fairly easy to do I wanted to have a change.

Stan - you know me, I am not the E9 purist like you are. I respect all breeds of E9 enthusiasts but I am definitely someone that wants the full Alpina sports looks and feel and more aggressive driving experience for track days etc.

So that's the story on the ambers... they may stay or they may be a temporary affair... we'll see but for now I am very happy and couldn't give a **** what anyone else thinks; unless of course they like them too :)))

duane_sword

Reaction score
Legal?...

I dont know if they are legal or not... I have my original clear high-beams in the trunk just in case.

As an Australian I live by the rule of asking for forgiveness rather than permission.

This philosophy has served me well so far in life.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Trans-continental coupe drive

Duane,

Were there any further discussions at Lime Rock about a possible coupe caravan across the US?

Doug

duane_sword

Reaction score
Duane,

Were there any further discussions at Lime Rock about a possible coupe caravan across the US?

Doug

Yes indeed. 2016 will be the year. Driving from East to West seems to get the votes.... though I felt shipping the coupes out, enjoy the festivities on the West coast, then drive back from West to East was the better option... More to come on this in a new thread.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great! Look forward to the new thread and participating in the drive. What a magnificent sight it could be to see a pack of 20 or 30 coupes making the trip.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
you forgot the most important photos:

and, of course....

(I didn't have the patience to wait for the xk to come around, so the Healey will have to do)