1974 3.0cs One Owner $20,000

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Doesn't scream gogoout. Why are there so many E9's in Beverly Hills? Perfect combination of money, garages, and climate?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
no significant use of exclamation points !!!!!!!!! and actually gives a phone number.

this car needs everything - paint, rust remediation, interior. the definition of a perfect body (no dents)?

this looks like a 12k to 15k car at best.

jefftepper

Reaction score
It looks like a Texas plate on the rear parcel shelf (car wash picture). Anyone confirm?

Curious that he speedometer needle appears bent. Other than warp speed, how would that happen?

72 Keso

Reaction score
This car appeared here before

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?p=139986#post139986

I did go and see car and posted my thoughts in link above. Seller claimed a couple or few more people were going to see later in day. I just assume car had been sold to someone with more money, skills and ambition than me. If anyone has specific questions send me a pm and we can talk.

What bothers me is that inside the engine bay the only vin # plate is the same as the one found on the steering wheel. There was no tag that indicated style color and vin number together? not sure if that is an issue?

12-15K is probably better price as rsporshe indicates. Impressive, he saw in pictures what took me 45 minutes to figure out.

Ben C

Reaction score
Hi guys I am new to this forum. My name is Ben and I'm the owner of this car. I heard from one of the people that saw the car recently it was posted on this site and I thought I could answer any of your questions. I advertised the car a few weeks ago and had a huge response but I did not have to title at that time so I took it down. Now I do. The car is a one family owned car and registered in CA since new. It runs great but as stated by some of you it needs restoration and I agree it absolutely needs paint and much more but as a whole it is very straight. If any of you have questions please feel free to ask. Nice to meet all of you.

Ben

This is one of my personal cars. I also drive a 1987 M6

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/million-mile-250se-coupe-is-socal-owners-daily-driver-1572711112

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in Ben. We tend to discuss every private E9 sale in the US. As you may gleam from other posts, they can be very analytical and sometimes critical in nature. Overall, it seems that everyone wants to ensure that the buyers know what they are in for.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ben, can you shed light on the incorrect vin plate in the engine compartment and is this a flip you purchased or has it been in your family from day one?

restart

Reaction score
Only one of those cars is in the registry. The second one 2263701 listed as an east coast car with rust. Entered in 2014 by who knows? Tire kicker or owner?

I admit when I read the story of the million miler merc I expected an older seniorish owner :p

Regarding the single family heritage, I grabbed this from the earlier discussion.hth
I spoke to the owner and here is what I was told.

The gentleman selling the cars is a real estate agent and owns part of a retirement home. When an elderly man passed in the home, the family sold him the cars which the guy owned.

This car is supposedly straight and mechanically sound but admittedly needs paint and an interior. The car had been registered and is documented through 2 years ago. Would include a 'bare metal spray' for $3k because the body guy owes him money. $20k.

There is also a 3.0CSi which comes with new floors and treasure chest of alpine parts. The car is 'cobalt blue' with a blue cloth interior. Asking $30k with parts.

VIN's are:
3.0 CS: 4310372
3.0 CSi: 2263701

Is there anyone in LA to see these cars?

Last edited:

Ben C

Reaction score
This is not a flip at all my family and I own nursing homes in Las Vegas NV and one of our residents that passed away owned this car and another 72 3.0 csi. The father owned the CS since new and the CSI for the past 4 years. The son was planning on selling the cars ridiculously cheap to a local dealer and that's when I stepped in. I am selling the car on behalf of the family and I would take a percentage of the sale. In the end they will be netting almost double of what they were offered. Also a portion of the sale will be donated to the Alzheimer's association of America. I am not familiar with what plates should be present on the car but it's exactly I received it. hope this helps.

Ben C

Reaction score
If I remember correctly he was going to sell the CSI for $10k with parts and $6500 for the CS. There was no way I wasn't going to get involved. I think these cars should go to the right home and the family should get was is deserved. The CSI has been sold.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like a consignment instead of a dealer. Same difference.
What a story, I always say stories become part of the car's pedigree.

Good luck to all.

restart

Reaction score
Yes please, engine pics would be good.
Ps, isn't someone supposed to tell someone to put 4310372 in the registry?:-|

Newbie post, so take it for what it is worth.

car is at body shop, seller is merc guy helping sell car for family seems to be a sincere guy.

I was interested in the fact that an original car and CSI were at one place. Went to look here is what I saw

CSI: complete rust bucket that is disassembled, inside body shop and covered by dust from body shop and parts. did not try to look in trunk too much stuff to move and limited time. passenger seat was removed and I could see floor through the holes in the floor pans. engine looked complete CSI engine and clean (aside from dust). under hood the fenders look rusted near shock tower, drip rails rusted. 4 rims in box, look like one piece basket weave style. the tag in the engine bay clearly states color and CS but I could not make out the "i". Also saw a box with a transmission.

This is clearly beyond my means, would need a body shop guy to look and and would need to check to see if he has all the parts needed. You would be building a new car. I did not have the time or knowledge to verify what need top be done and if parts where there. Seller believes he has all the parts but I do not know. Car is describe as previously noted and as seller indicated.

Other car (in the Craiglist ad)
very dark green 3.0 rust is surface. minimal bubbles at fender behind front tires and one spot at bottom of rear window. I do not believe there is serious rust but I am a newbie.maybe original color BUT inside hood there was some flaking where a red color was underneath? was the hood changed? did not notice other body damage.

However the tag that indicates color was missing. only tag has a vin number and nothing else. Also in the interior the part on the steering column with the vin number was surprisingly cover with white stains, dried salt. reminded me of bob big boy's car interior. but it was just the panel with the vin that was damaged? This is probably what is preventing me from considering car. I have picture of vin tag on my phone but do not know how to post.

Car started and ran fine but did not drive it. when clutch was press down it made a strange noise. No gauges worked, fuel, rpm, etc. AC did not work, power window for front were very, very, very slow and I did not wait to see if they closed all the way. rear did not work. Seats had bad cracks.

I think you would be buying a car that needs paint, all new rubber, and interior but has an original engine that works, aside from possibly dry rotted hoses

Not able to download picture, if you care send me email and I can forward engine bay picture to you. or if you questions, send me a message and you can interrogate me by phone.

Raul

Last edited:

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dealer???

The phone number listed in the ad is a Nevada number which makes sense but there seems to be half a dozen cars for sale with the same phone number. I am sure there may very well be a great explanation for all of this but you have to admit it it is a bit suspect from an outsiders perspective.

Last edited:

Ben C

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long for those pictures I just got back in town. Yes I have sold quite a few cars with that phone number because I deal with many families estates including real estate and cars.

Attachments

• IMG_8363.jpg
    IMG_8363.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_8364.jpg
    IMG_8364.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_8365.jpg
    IMG_8365.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_8366.jpg
    IMG_8366.jpg