Clarion 2002 build from Coupeking video.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ah the truth....
I have never driven, worked on, owned a 2002.
I know nothing about them.
Seriously.

Honolulu

Reaction score
they wanted to take it back to factory status in 1974?

Wot, then, is with the early bumpers, dual sidedrafts, brakes, wheels, tires, suspension? Funny a sound system was not itemized.

I CALL "NOT". They built a nice hotrod2002, but it's little different than what thousands of 02 enthusiasts have been doing for a long, long time. With their kind of money something better could have been done. Think of Paul Cain's 2002.

Why not start with a tii?

On another note, apparently they got the car for a song from an 02 owner/driver, not admitting that Clarion was the actual buyer and they were going this route with his daily driver. Now maybe it's caveat emptor, and what an owner sells for is the market value at the time, but some honesty was lacking in the transaction. Methinks I saw this referred to on the 02FAQ list, maybe somewhere else. If anyone cares they can look there.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Forums are a blast especially if you keep a smile on your face!

Honolulu

Reaction score
I dunno if it matters, but what assumptions did I make?

I listened to and watched the video. My main guide is experience with the 15 or so 2002s I've owned. I have also read the original versus non-original discussions here.

Never said it's not a quite nice build- it is, and it's nice to have the money to do it. Too many 2002s (and coupes) are too far gone to restore, although we see examples from time to time where coupes that most of us wouldn't touch, are brought back gloriously. But I think most of the money in that business is for the guys doing the work, or we'd all have wonderfully restored cars and be flipping them as soon as buyers could be found.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Charlie,

This is what you said:

"I CALL "NOT". They built a nice hotrod2002, but it's little different than what thousands of 02 enthusiasts have been doing for a long, long time. With their kind of money something better could have been done. Think of Paul Cain's 2002.

Why not start with a tii?

On another note, apparently they got the car for a song from an 02 owner/driver, not admitting that Clarion was the actual buyer and they were going this route with his daily driver. Now maybe it's caveat emptor, and what an owner sells for is the market value at the time, but some honesty was lacking in the transaction."

I took your comments as critical of the quality of their build, that they could have built a Twin Turbo 02 ala Paul's car, that was not their goal. Also, you implied that they deceived the seller of the 02. I don't think either comment is appropriate here.

Chris

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I took your comments as critical of the quality of their build, that they could have built a Twin Turbo 02 ala Paul's car, that was not their goal. Also, you implied that they deceived the seller of the 02. I don't think either comment is appropriate here.
+1 - i think that when somebody sells a car to CK, they know its going to get done well, sold for a big number ... and its going to be a no-hassle sale (from them) to Peter + Erik. They look for a quality car body wise that they can do a good job with - and hopefully not have too many surprises lurking underneath.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well Charlie - I keep reading what you wrote about this and then I keep reading your byline.

Charlie

That is a very inspiring byline. it seems familiar but I don't remember where I've seen it before.

As always thank you for your thoughts!

Honolulu

Reaction score
The sig line was borrowed and modified from another BMW model forum. I retained attribution for quite a while, but having come to the opinion that I'd made it sufficiently my own through changes and long use, I removed it.

I am strongly of the opinion that we should all kokua one another in the best way we can. "Kokua" is a Hawaii term for providing help because one can, and without expectation of reward. I've been on both sides and it's pretty fine when it happens.

FWIW my first post did not denigrate the build quality; my post did acknowledge that it was "nice". Perhaps I was seen to be lacking sufficient superlatives, but I'm not in the habit of using those freely.