Car Appraisal

drhodgie

Reaction score
My agent tells me I can get my car insurance a lot cheaper, but I need to get my 3.0cs appraised. He will use insurance for collector cars.
My car is located near San Jose CA. Does anyone know how to get this done?

Thanks

dbower

Reaction score
In my experience, insurance companies will accept an appraisal from a neutral third party who has some demonstrable expertise in your particular car (classic dealer, specialty body shop, auction house, etc.). Note that ins co's are familiar with various online price guides that may have very little relationship to the value of a given car.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the Bay Area I have used Monte at Accurate Auto.
Last year my beloved 745i turbo was stolen 6 months after his appraisal.

They probably stole it themselves says my spleen.

I should have my Rabbit with the kaput tranny appraised and then stolen, who do I speak with there?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used to have to get my vintage motorcycles appraised. I sent my pictures and relevant info to a company back east and they would generally appraise it higher than I was asking if I was in the ballpark. They did cars too but I can't find their info anymore. Does anyone have a company that will do it that way? From pictures, Registration, etc. online that specializes in vintage BMW's?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I sold my 745i turbo today- it holds 100 liters of fuel.
That's a bit more than 26 gallons.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I do not mean to offend but to appraise an E23 car the appraiser needs to know how full is the gas tank.

I'm thinking those days are behind us. Truly nice 745s and some manual cars are bringing pretty strong money. As for 90% of E23s, I think the volume of fuel thing might still be true.

I've got some cars insured through American Collectors Insurance and haven't had to get an independent appraisal. They were a bit hesitant on my requested value on the B7 Turbo when I increased it before driving it to Monterey, but I provided some supporting documents of sales in Europe and they didn't have an issue.

I dealt with a third party appraiser on my E12 M535i after it was hit in my driveway. I thought I got a pretty good feel for the guy and finding out he owned a couple of '68 Glas GTs, I was thinking we were going to be in pretty good shape, but unfortunately, I think he was a shill for the insurance company and got everything we discussed mixed up. In the end, it did work out, but not thanks to him. That said, I'm sure it was a much different situation than dealing with someone that comes out and can put their hands on your car and can apply what he/she sees to a proper metric.