Restoration- tail lights?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So if one is restoring a car and have many, many parts what do you do for the taillights?

The chrome can be redone but the lenses are all crazed.
Stan was exploring have some lenses made but don't think he has gotten a good solution yet.

Looks like you can buy the lenses from BMW for $600 each.

Suggestions?

Gary

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, i had the samples ... they were produced by our friend Stan. perhaps Stan can give us an update on this project. they looked really good, just didn't quite fit that well.

i sent him a couple of lenses that i removed.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I sent the sample lenses to a guy in Australia. He produced a beautiful reproduction that was very accurate. The problem was, the fit was just a little but off. So I sent the samples back along with a set of tail lights that were still in the frames. The frames were rough and pitted so I told hime to try and test the idea that many of us might knock out the old lenses, re-chrome the frame and install new lenses and that I would pay for the re-chroming. This was all months ago.

A couple of months ago I got an email telling me that the new samples were on the way. Between the Fosters and the Vegamite, I think they got lost or forgotten. I have been emailing him weekly.

If I can find an address perhaps one of our "brothers" from down under can pay him a visit?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
all of us that looked at the quality of the lenses at Amelia were very impressed with the visual quality. i hope they get their stuff together.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the update guys.

Always difficult with items like this.

I just thought I would check and see if there was some mystery place someone had found.
Looks like the restoration guys are staying quiet on this one.

I'll keep watching and hope you hear from down under Stan?

Gary