1976 bmw 2002

EJ333

Reaction score
Guys,
I have a friend from my past who has had his Fjord 2002 pretty much in his garage for the last twenty years. I have an appointment to see it on Friday, so I have been researching the things to keep an eye on. I've always wanted a 2002, so this may be my chance with less question marks since I believe my friend will give me a fair chance at it. I am bringing along a second mutual friend to look at the car. It's got less than 100 k on the odometer. Doug said he bought it circa 1983 and probably only put 2,000- 4,000 miles on it ( my guesstimate).
If it's been sitting in his garage for so long, could that mean a big bill to get it up to par again ? Can the diving board bumpers be easily swapped somewhere down the road at a reasonable price ? Wish it were an earlier year model, but I read in Hemings that the '76 had a sure solidity and that a lot of bugs worked out. Please chime in. Thanks

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
'76 is a good year for being solid but a bad year to own in CA. The only year that has to be smogged so it has to have all the emission equipment on it. You might be able to find a place that will "pass" it if its not legal, but that's not the best way to handle it. A '76 sitting for a long time is usually because it failed smog.

I just bought a '76 this month and getting ready to get my smog test soon. As soon as I get the title in my name and I clean it up its being sold on eBay.

Dan

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sitting for a long time means that lot of seals are likely ready to fail. Dealing with that type of stuff can get expensive. The cooling system doesn't like it and the fuel system as well. Sitting is very bad for a car….unless it is a Corvair!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If not registered as NonOp back fees could be due unless it is out of DMV system. If out of system be sure you keep blue plates and original reg doc to reassign them. Google Ca smog test history, input VIN or plate number to see when last smogged. As stated it needs all smog equipment, if it has a Webber carb there will be a metal tag stating CA smog compliant. Good luck, I just bought 75 and I get to remove all smog equipment, no testing required.

You will learn to love the big bumpers, trust me.

lloyd

Reaction score
'76 '02s are a mixed bag. Body integrity, fit and finish was probably at their zenith. However, some of that may be negated by extra weight, including those bumpers and the their attachments.

As others have said, emissions-related accessories generally add weight, reduce performance and can become a headache for those testers who have little familiarity with the devices they are testing. Unless in a weightless vacuum, virtually any car that is in long term storage, excepting maybe a Corvair, can suffer from sitting. Forgetting about rust, and critters (including black widow spiders), the urethane foam and horsehair pads found in sun visors and seats do not tend to improve with age. Nor does vulcanized rubber found in tires, drive belts and cooling hoses. Glue used on headliners often degrades after many years and padded steering wheels and weather stripping previously exposed to the sun may look the part until you grip them or open and close doors and windows. So, what looks good, does not always wear good.

Even a cosmoline encapsulated crate engine stored for many years can deteriorate if moisture were somehow left trapped under the valve cover. Valve springs and coil springs left for years under constant tension probably loose some of their endearing properties.

Despite all of the potentially negative aspects of age, if you like what you see, grab it.

Best of Luck!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a few engine compartment shots of my '76. For the most part, all of the emission equipment is there, including the thermal reactors, solenoids, egr, etc. If much of this stuff is missing on that car it can be a REAL challenge to get it right.

IMG_20160512_192556094_HDR.thumb.jpg.05583d31de9449e5b1befcde634868b1.jpg

IMG_20160512_192620766.thumb.jpg.0bc3ec9bba4ee21313cd5a5fcc107592.jpg

IMG_20160512_193117528.thumb.jpg.0a3dc4fedda7254e43f7dda73373fe5e.jpg

76_2002.jpg

76_2002p.JPG

lloyd

Reaction score
For the most part, all of the emission equipment is there, including the thermal reactors, solenoids, egr, etc. If much of this stuff is missing on that car it can be a REAL challenge to get it right.

Even if the equipment is intact and working, many of the Smog examiners are clueless regarding basic visual inspections. Many were born well after the age of ignition points and leaded fuels. I recall an ugly argument many years ago regarding the apparent lack of an 02 sensor and catalytic converter on a '73csi. On another car, with original Zenith carbs, an examiner determined the vehicle failed the visual inspection because metal "CARB tags," similar to the one in your picture, were missing.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I owned a 76' 2002 (Golf of course LOL) back in 85 or so. Even then I hated all the smog stuff. These cars really don't like the smog equipment, it really impedes performance and there are so many other choices out there that are not a 76'. Plus they are so much fun to modify, why deal with it? If in another state with no smog laws and you never plan on moving to a state with smog laws then that would be the only scenario. Even then, the bumper conversion isn't as easy nor cheap (especially if they need to be chromed) as people say. I don't even look at them anymore, it's just not worth it. Don't mean to be a downer but plenty others out there not 76'. I am a fan of the 74' & 75' with smaller bumpers, that is a great look and more practical tail lights. My 2 cents.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
...I don't even look at them anymore, it's just not worth it. Don't mean to be a downer but plenty others out there not 76'. I am a fan of the 74' & 75' with smaller bumpers, that is a great look and more practical tail lights. My 2 cents.

I have a '69 2002, two '72 tii's and one '73tii (Golf BTW!) and would never own a '76 to keep in CA. I also prefer square tail light small bumper 2002's but in this case I decided to flip this car on eBay and move on. I expect it to sell out of state and someone will have a very nice car to cruise around in. I passed on a '74 last year with minor rust but needed total restoration, and now I wished I'd kept it and stored it somewhere.

EJ333

Reaction score
Can you verify that if the seller is selling to another California resident, that the seller must pay for passing smog certification before the sale is complete ?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can you verify that if the seller is selling to another California resident, that the seller must pay for passing smog certification before the sale is complete ?

The law states that its the responsibility of the Seller to provide a smog certificate at the time of sale. Cars are sold every day without it, it just depends on who buys the car and whether or not you think they'll come back later and complain. In your case, if its a friend I'm sure he would expect you to buy "as is" knowing that there could be issues. "as is" also means nothing, but it would be an agreement that he would have to trust.

If he has a title in his name you could buy the car and hold on to the title until you know whether it will pass a smog test or not. If you decide its not worth getting it to pass you could sell it out of state and pass the title along. In my case, I bought the car on a lien packet from a tow yard so I HAVE to get it in my name first to have any chance of reselling it.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Or you can buy it and ship it to me. What's one more project!
56722b8d5a2195b6b6084d99c74d779e.jpg

This ones getting an M42 and 5 speed from an E30.