What would you pay for a pair of high quality reproduction tail light frame/lens

EJ333

Reaction score
when i get them, i will pop them into my frames - i have frames for both sides open and ready to try. i have a NOS drivers side (with red turn signals) and we can compare how they compare. i will post pics and my opinion ... and based on how good the ones looked (that didn't fit) ... if they fit good i will be cheerleading all of you to buy along with me + Stan.

Fingers crossed ... New lenses can really help give an extra pop visually.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hasn't BMW set precedence on this already with belt line trim and other reman parts? :) Full price!

I am actually concerned about that. What if I test fit and they fit great in my frames and Scott also gets good results? I would say they are what they are and if they do not fit your frames then there must be some variation or your frame got stretched or bent.

When we finally determine it is a go, I will only be the middle man. I will purchase a quantity and pass them along once I receive them. After that, they are yours.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan, In light of last messages, would you like other members to lend you some additional frames for test fit? Maybe some with orders in have the frame they will use already off the car. Others, like me, would be happy to lend frame if useful to you. (But sorry if I'm repeating earlier ground covered, I've not read all the posts...) Paul

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am actually concerned about that. What if I test fit and they fit great in my frames and Scott also gets good results? I would say they are what they are and if they do not fit your frames then there must be some variation or your frame got stretched or bent.

When we finally determine it is a go, I will only be the middle man. I will purchase a quantity and pass them along once I receive them. After that, they are yours.
i can and will test with frames from different years (i have several with broken lenses already removed)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sample lenses sent to Scott today!
I sent the manufacturer my lens frames and he has yet to return them. Which seems strange since he could have sent it all back at once. Maybe holding them hostage for a lens order...

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would like a set of rear lights as soon as you have them. I am in the starting phase a\of refurbishing my '72 3.0CS and my right lens has a hole in it.
Also, the silvered reflectors inside have badly deteriorated, so I am sure they will not put out a very strong light. any update on when these might be available?

When you get the new lens take out the whole light. Then use brass wool on the reflector and cover with silver mylar tape (which I will give to you with the lens purchase:razz:)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking back over this thread I see 10 who would want a set (L&R) of tail light lenses.

RS Porsche
MB55
Gary Knox
Paul 02
Teahead
Dirk
Blue Bomb
DMG360
RMP
Peter Coomaraswamy

1. There is a choice of the conventional amber or first gen red turn signals. The guy will make either.
2. Any other people want to get in on this order? Judging by experience, it may a while in arriving but... since he is actually getting paid this time he may move faster. I will have everything shipped to me and then ship out.
3. Should be about $200 for a pair (2 turn signal, 2 back up and 2 brake) Including shipping in the USA. Outside the USA, I will get a price.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan,

I'm also interested if the price stays around $200 for a pair. I'm in europe so I guess the shipping will be a bit more expensive. Amber is the color I would want on the turn signals.
Shame I just put a lot of money on a pair of very nice taillights, but I guess with these I can make my other not so nice pair look like new again and save them as spares.

Cheers,

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tail light lens removal & installation

how do you remove and
replace

Since I did not want the lenses that were in the frame, I took a hammer to the lens and broke them. They dropped out pretty easily.

According to the guy who copied them, the lenses are going to fit housings. The lenses are unconventional in that they don’t screw into place. They need a perfect
Contour to match the curve.

Also for fitment , I ran some tests. There is USA made glue. LIQUID FUSION GLUE....please google for info, its available on ebay also. I use same glue for many assemblies we do here.

I cleaned housing, ran a bead of glue around the edge where lens sits in. Then dropped lens into place and locked in place with masking tape.

Next day I turned unit over and ran a bead of glue on the back face overlapping the lens and housing. Once dried any small holes were filled with same glue.

Paul02

Reaction score
Stan apologies for not reading every post in the thread . I need complete frames and lenses as I only have the backs and no frames to fit the new lenses into . So it looks like I am out .
Sorry it was my mistake but I need the chrome frames as well .

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan apologies for not reading every post in the thread . I need complete frames and lenses as I only have the backs and no frames to fit the new lenses into . So it looks like I am out .
Sorry it was my mistake but I need the chrome frames as well .

Hey Paul,

I think that you have an opportunity that is somewhat short term. Now that repro lenses exist, the demand for cheap frames with broken lenses will go up. Keep your eyes peeled for inexpensive frames on EBay.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think there are more pimpled frames than broken lenses. The repro lenses will be good because removing good lenses from bad frames usually ruins the lenses.

Hey Paul,

I think that you have an opportunity that is somewhat short term. Now that repro lenses exist, the demand for cheap frames with broken lenses will go up. Keep your eyes peeled for inexpensive frames on EBay.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

This may seem obvious, but have you mentioned this to La Jolla, Coupeking, VSR and the like? I would think they might be quite interested as well..

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Count me in too

Stan,

I'd like a set of lenses as well. Amber turn signals please.

Has anyone examined how well these lenses will fit into frames that have been rechromed to remove the pitting? I had some VW parts rechromed years ago and the shop put on so much metal, the locks wouldn't fit into the handle anymore. A total waste of money. I'd hate to have the same thing happen now.

Ian

loloe13

Reaction score
Stan,
great work, I am interested in a pair of amber ones please. But do you think this guy can just send local (in Australia) to me directly? That will save lots on postage. Assuming I still pay you for the lens. Cheers, Gavin

Sportster

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stan,

You can put me down for 2 sets with amber lenses. Anyone else in London/UK want to do a bulk order to save on postage?

Regards,

Peter.