Registry Down

jhjacobs

Reaction score
For any of you noticing that the E9-Driven registry went down mid day on 10/31 I am working to get it back on line. It has been a horrible experience. Network Solutions is the web hosting company for the registry. A few months ago I noticed that they slammed me with a $6.99 monthly fee for some type of service I never requested. When I noticed the charges I called to have them stop the charges and refund past charges. After a bit of wrangling they agreed and gave me a service ticket. Today they got around to processing the ticket and not only did they stop the charges they disabled my account and deleted the registry.

They acknowledged the mistake and reinstated my account and email services but they thought it would be "best" if I was the one to restore the web site because I do incremental hourly backups. What a bunch of boneheads. My backups are solid and I've been uploading over 5Gbytes in 15,000 files for the better part of the day. I hope it will be back up and running soon.

The registry is now approaching 2300 coupes. In the image gallery we have about 1300 photos. This is far more data than any of us anticipated. I am really hoping to get some face lifts doneto the site soon because it was never designed for the scope it has taken on.

Thanks for all the support.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
thanks

Not said often enough, but all of your efforts, the day to day, and the above and beyond, are greatly appreciated...Good to see you again at the Vintage, and thanks again for the grille badge. You are truly one of a kind...
Dave V. in western NC

w. chen

Reaction score
a thank you

people behind the scenes - you are truly greatly appreciated for your daily upkeep, etc, work.
this whole thing with e9 forums, and so forth, it is truly unbelievable how much it has helped so many e9 owners. and friendships formed. thank you to all.

w. chen

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Donate for sure

Glen, thanks for the reminder. I for one am always thanking forum members but I have neglected to thank those behind the scenes. Besides the invaluable information on this site it has proven to have enhanced many other areas of my life including the introduction to many unique and kind human beings. Maybe we should subtly make November our "donations drive" month. I don't think I have ever seen a request for funds from anyone and it's all too easy to forget the time of the admins behind the curtain.

coupelady

Reaction score
The digital age is such a wonderful tool for exchanging information and ideas. But it does take someone to form and hold it all together! SO many thanks from us who at one time printed quarterly CS Register newsletters. The forums hold such timely info but most of all joins together the owners who, in my opinion, are some great folks.

But most of all our administrator should get all the credit.

Bravo!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just a reminder that the donation button on the forum page is for this site. The registry has a separate donation on the e9-driven.com site. That said, its not that expensive the run the sites so that's why we dont bring it up very often.

Dan

steve in reno

Reaction score
The cost isn't the issue.
This site has been a god send for many of us that use it and its resources often.

I have been here since before it became the slick site is now.
Our moderators and admin are the greatest.

Thanks to all involved!

steve

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i was taken aback slightly the other day when deQuincey commented on Stevehose's 4000th post ... and the reply from HBChris. truly a lot of very helpful information from these three guys ... Add Stan to that mix and you have our 4 biggest posters. in looking at the "community" tab and sorting by number of posts, you get a sense for people who use this forum, and often contribute a lot ... or at least ask a reasonable number of questions (such as me). then you skip down a couple of rows and you find a few more invaluable people such as SFDon and 61Porsche. a few more rows and we find our spiritual leader Murray (Blumax). BTW, i am not suggesting this is a competition to see how many posts we can put up here ... but how many more really usable posts we can add to complement the wealth of info already here.

what i am getting at is, this is a fantastic forum with some people who really contribute and help the rest of us quite a bit. first thanks to the administrators who keep us going in the right direction and for keeping this site up and running wonderfully (and do let us know when you do need funding). the second is to all of the people who share their knowledge and love of this wonderful car that we all get to drive (or hope to drive soon). and to the rest of us ... lets just help keep it going. this forum does add to the value of our cars ... perhaps indirectly by helping us all to have better examples that defy aging due to our cosmetic and sometimes structural surgeries.

cheers

Attachments

• e9coupe - 3 nov 2014.JPG
    e9coupe - 3 nov 2014.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 62
  • e9coupe - 3 nov 2014 - 2.JPG
    e9coupe - 3 nov 2014 - 2.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 70

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
he's been closing in fast ... i remember a year ago when he said that you were a thousand ahead of him (or so) and could never catch up.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For my 4078'th post I have no comment :p

(other than without this forum I'd be toast maintenance-wise and try to pay it back, I enjoy the enthusiasm and personalities of the various members especially when finally meeting in person, and I do spend just a little too much time here but I love these cars and can't help it)

But Chris' frontrunner status is not in jeopardy ;-)

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
A special thanks for this site and its generous contributors from those of us in remote locales, such as here in Australia. The access to information is at times crucial though I do acknowledge the invaluable assistance of some of the locals as well.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Well, the E9-Driven registry is now back and about 98% functional after the Network Solutions FAIL. For some reason when they reactivated the hosting service some things changed like IMAP no longer being supported and a few of the database functions seem to working but causing errors. Fortunately it appears that do data was lost and I only had to rebuild one record by hand which was pending approval at the time of the account deletion. I hope the problems are mainly administrative and will not be visible to anyone using the site but if you encounter any issues please send a note to let us know (info-at-e9-driven.com).

Thanks to everyone for all the support.

TodB

Reaction score
I'll echo many of the comments here.

This site is extremely useful, friendly and supportive where some of the other car sites can become amazingly catty. I've learned a bunch from reading this site daily (OK, much more frequently than daily). I've also started some great friendships with guys I've met here and am really looking forward to putting names with new faces in Monterey in 2016 when "East meets West". Could be epic!

This forum was founded in response to some administrative shennigans that were happening on the old Roadfly site. The fact that we've grown into the prominent E9 forum on the internet over the past 12 years is a testament to its members but more impressive is the supportive worldwide community that has matured over time and all without Facebook! :grin: Its also great to see the content that has been added over the years, i.e. the registry, tech info, old CS register scans, etc. which is invaluable.

Most importantly, hats off to the folks behind the scenes who manage these resources for without them, we would have no site.

Last edited: