'70 2800cs - NYC $21k

Hatchman

Reaction score
Figured I would make a thread about this one / introduce myself.
My father and I are currently on the hunt for a coupe so we can join you all in the madness. This one popped up in the area so I went to take a look. The car is definitely a runner, started right up and sounded healthy, was unable to take on the road however. Interior is very clean but I have no idea what the seats are from and neither do they. Also the radio is well... up there. Exterior is the scary part, it was definitely in a front end collision of some sort, the hood and lower valence show green paint flaking up from under what appears to be a pretty poorly prepped paint job on the front end. You can see it in pictures, the lower fenders are a matte finish compared to the rest of the car and the hood line on the top of the fender on the driver side is pretty well rusted out as well (See engine bay pic). Rest of the body looked pretty straight, I was unable to get under the car. They have no history at all on this car outside of a PA inspection sticker from 3 years ago IIRC. If you have any questions feel free to contact me, looking to chat coupe.

http://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/1970-bmw-2800cs-c-1927.htm?

1927_main_l.jpg

1927_p9_l.jpg

On a side note does anyone know anything about the 3 coupes Hunting Ridge Motors Mt Kisco NY has in their stables currently? Considering a trip out to see them.

http://www.huntingridgemotors.com/category.php?cat=bmw&carid=0

i3s17.jpg

pi333.jpg

9i55.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hatchman, hang tough. That red one is a chocolate mess! There are MUCH better coupes available for much less. If you are looking for a car you could spell out exactly what you are looking for and this forum probably knows every coupe in the world that goes up for sale. Post down in the cars for sale section WTB and let us know what you're looking for, your (and your dads) mechanical inclination, where you are located and if you have any connections in the restoration world. Also, don't be afraid to look in the dryer states; 1000.00 in shipping or a flight out-drive back is 100 times cheaper than fixing rust on an e9.

I think J Macro said it best (forgive me if I have that wrong), but "the most expensive car you'll ever buy is a 5,000.00 e9) BUT!!! there are allot of people out there trying to sell parts cars for 20K plus.

Use the forum!! :)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Patience is a virtue

Hatch - I bought my car earlier this year after searching for almost three years. Tim and Peter and a bunch of other very generous folks here helped me a lot.

First and foremost, when the guys here tell you to stay away from a particular car, listen to them. They know of what they speak.

The best advice I received was to find the least rusty vehicle you can afford. The mechanical stuff can easily be repaired or upgraded, and if you get a relatively rust free car you can do a driving restoration. That's what I am doing.

Hatchman

Reaction score
Don't worry guys I gave this one a pass when I saw it, just figured I would post my experience in case anyone else stumbled upon the listing. I will make a WTB thread sometime in the future when we really know what we're looking for. Have a lot of studying to do, mostly on engine variants and what these cars are really worth because the prices seem to be everywhere.

For now if anyone can point me in the direction of a good read or general resource for information on these cars it would be appreciated. I can tell there is a lot of good information hidden in this forum, but I didn't see any big FAQ anywhere.

Appreciate the help.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hatchman, sorry, more advice- but know there are MUCH smarter members on the forum than I; just follow the forum, look at every section- ask questions- whatever, check out the pictures and look at the older threads too. I started trying to put a "library" together with all the posts, something I still want to do but bloody difficult and time-consuming. Probably best to purchase from a member or from someone a member recommends.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Certainly heard some complaints about Gullwing Motors on Bring a Trailer.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That red CS at Gullwing was on ebay, it was located in Boston. Relisted several times with no sale.

I've seen one of Hunting Ridge Motors E9s, it was Malaga. A very nice clean car, they were asking 75K for it. They ask top dollar for their cars. They currently have a '73 2002 Tii with an asking/BIN price on ebay for 55K!

Worth looking at HRM cars, you may need a big budget though.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Buy someone else's money pit\restoration with full documentation and this sites blessing.