Replacing u-joints

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I had a driveline vibration develop in SoCal last week, so when I got back to the Bay Area I found that my front u-joint had failed. Ordered some B/A joints and then undertook the process of replacing an unreplaceable u-joint. Where there's a will, there's a way. A BFH, a little filing, precise measuring, and a tack weld or two and I'm back in business.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pictures???? This is like going through a Class 5 rapids and living to talk about it.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
No pictures. I basically measured the depth of the end cap on both sides then drove the old joint out with a punch. I filed off the stake marks so the new joint would press in without deforming it. I pressed the new joint in to the same depth as the old one, then pushed an 8x24mm flat washer in each end hole and tacked it in.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I looked up the part on Autohaus Az and this is what it says :

"Warning: This is not an easily replaced part by do-it-yourselfers due to the need for special equipment."

I hear the "Rocky" theme song in the background.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
all those things...and duct tape. I just recall at age 9, my father's friend, master Cadillac mechanic doing my dad's u-joint at our house. That's the day I learned how to curse.