Suction device for fuel tank

Henrik

Reaction score
Hi!

Does anybody have the suction device for the CSI gas tank?
OEM part 16121110678

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the part is only $105 from tomkinsonbmwparts.com. penske lists it for 138.14. at those prices, wouldn't it be better to buy new than 40 years old? unless there is something radically different than the original part numbers ... 16121107632 (from penske - my orange books are at home)

Henrik

Reaction score
I agree. I will contact them and see if they can deliver but I have previously experienced some suppliers that advertise parts that are no longer in production.

Henrik

Reaction score
It seems to be available, but double the price of US dealers. I must wait until I need more parts and order everything from the US.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It seems to be available, but double the price of US dealers. I must wait until I need more parts and order everything from the US.
perhaps the currency exchange is slightly in our favor these days ... whodathunkit.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not so fast guys. There were 2 types of CSi tanks and suction devices, the early tank used a bayonet mounted pickup and a bolt on version for the later tank. It seems 16121107632 is the bolt on suction device, unfortunately, the bayonet pickup 16121107632 is NLA and has been for years.

So Henrik, what kind of tank does your coupe have?

Last edited:

Henrik

Reaction score
My plan is to convert a standard 2800CS tank into a injection tank for my CSL (the old tank was rusty and beyond repair and the fuel device is missing). My first idea was to use a fuel sender unit from e12 or e28 with suction and return in the same tube. These bayonet senders fits perfect except for the fact that the length are only 225 mm. The tank is 255 deep. So I think that tank device OEM part number 16121110678 will fit perfect when a new hole has been made in the tank. As far as i can see from realOEM drawings this is the bolt on device.
I contacted Walloth and they can deliver the armature for 104 Euro, almost the same as US suppliers.
Sadly the currency exchange is both in favour of USD and EURO against Norwegian Kroner these days.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My plan is to convert a standard 2800CS tank into a injection tank for my CSL (the old tank was rusty and beyond repair and the fuel device is missing). My first idea was to use a fuel sender unit from e12 or e28 with suction and return in the same tube. These bayonet senders fits perfect except for the fact that the length are only 225 mm. The tank is 255 deep. So I think that tank device OEM part number 16121110678 will fit perfect when a new hole has been made in the tank. As far as i can see from realOEM drawings this is the bolt on device.
I contacted Walloth and they can deliver the armature for 104 Euro, almost the same as US suppliers.
Sadly the currency exchange is both in favour of USD and EURO against Norwegian Kroner these days.

Any luck w/this project? I'd like to do the same thing.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For a CSI pump you can use a 318i in-tank pump. No other pumps required. It has the same bayonet fitting as the old stock unit for attaching to the tank. However, it is about 50 mm too short. This is easily solved by welding in short pipe extensions so that the pickup is the correct length. You will also need to resolder the wires with longer ones.

Unfortunately the longest oval sender unit I have found does not quite reach the bottom of the tank.

Attachments

• FuelPump.jpg
    FuelPump.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 197

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm confused. I thought bayonet mount meant it didn't use bolts. That picture looks like it has bolts (studs) to mount it, as per the later style tanks.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Correct about the bayonet. It drops in the hole and rotates about 10 mm. Those bolts you see in the photo are for mounting the oval sender unit. Google the part numbers and you can see how it works.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm with Sven with the 318i bracket but use the walbro pump and keep one leg in Bmw fuel line for easy assembly. That pump is good for a 5Liter mustang and is less than 100 bucks.
That's 3/8 fuel line soldered in place and then spot welded for strength.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 186

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
New

exactly I put in a brand new 318i and just added atube to reach the bottom of the tank
perfect setup bolts right in
just need to add a return line back to the engine

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You guys running EFI? If so, do you guys also use a surge tank? Wondering as since if you do, I'd imagine that would be a low pressure fuel pump on that suction.

Also, why does the return line tube have to be lengthened? Doesn't it have to just be there to dump excess fuel?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Later motronic systems use no surge tank and no low pressure pump.
Look closely at the return pipe- it holds the pump in place so it doesn't get destroyed by torque forces

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wish I could find an engine install to do in Australia.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you guys don't get how close Don already lives to the Napa valley, and more importantly Carneros ... which grows great Pinot Noir ... something that Oz doesn't do a great job with ... however, NZ does.