Will have to start somewhere

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding WD-40

Thought some might like this- no wonder there are so many cans laying around in our man caves;

Attachments

• wd-40 ad.jpg
    wd-40 ad.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 209

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's hilarious. if you read that out of context, you might be thinking we were talking about some other type of product ... of an adult nature

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
that's hilarious. If you read that out of context, you might be thinking we were talking about some other type of product ... Of an adult nature

+1

:d:d:d

it is really interesting, i do not recall hearing here about WD40 lets say 10 years ago, it is an american original product ? from which decade ?
we had "3 in 1" but not WD40,...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1

:d:d:d

it is really interesting, i do not recall hearing here about WD40 lets say 10 years ago, it is an american original product ? from which decade ?
we had "3 in 1" but not WD40,...
WD40 was developed in the early 50's. we've had it around houses i've lived in all my life - i remember it as a kid in the mid 60's.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
since I took off the hood I figured I would clean it up and put the new pads on.

Just a side note, the torsion bar can be easily removed for this operation without worry if you get some bailing wire and tighten it around the catches so the stops don't slip off. It makes it allot easier to put the new pads on correctly, and cleaning that glue off was not fun! I compounded and waxed the inside of the hood, and the outside and then covered in plastic so I would not have to do it later, the inside was much easier when it was off the car. I also finished priming the engine bay this weekend- this is my first attempt at painting a (portion of) a car (that I care about) so I hope it turns out OK, I plan on doing that this weekend but I still have to clean and prime the cowl and the area in front of the radiator. :)

Looking good Peter!

In picture 5 (the cleaned and primed engine bay), it looks like your rain gutter had some rust in it. How bad did that turn out? My Coupe has some rust in that spot as well, and I want to see how big Pandoras Box actually is.

I've hit mine with an ice pick, and nothing went through, so I don't think it's coming from the inside out. We'll see once I grind the area, but given it looks like a similar amount in a similar area I wanted to get your feedback before I just get in there. 8)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Brendan, that rain-gutter stuff is just glue and rubber left over from the seal that I removed. There were 2 eraser size rust spots further down that were scraped and Por-15'd and then filled with fiber filler. There was no way I could weld them because it would ruin the paint on the fender I think because it's so close to where the hood meets. I thoroughly cleaned under the flap there which can be reached with the suspension out and that will be rust-proofed, painted and sealed before I put the suspension and engine back in.

The space where you mention your issues is a continuation of that "flap" and again, can be reached, probably easily by removing the wheel. You may also be able to gain access through the opening back there where dirt and sand always collects but I would definitely check it out and do some prevention because that can sneak up on you pretty quick regardless of how often its driven. If pictures will help let me know and I'll send some over the weekend.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Hi Brendan, that rain-gutter stuff is just glue and rubber left over from the seal that I removed. There were 2 eraser size rust spots further down that were scraped and Por-15'd and then filled with fiber filler. There was no way I could weld them because it would ruin the paint on the fender I think because it's so close to where the hood meets. I thoroughly cleaned under the flap there which can be reached with the suspension out and that will be rust-proofed, painted and sealed before I put the suspension and engine back in.

The space where you mention your issues is a continuation of that "flap" and again, can be reached, probably easily by removing the wheel. You may also be able to gain access through the opening back there where dirt and sand always collects but I would definitely check it out and do some prevention because that can sneak up on you pretty quick regardless of how often its driven. If pictures will help let me know and I'll send some over the weekend.

Appreciate the input. I had the wheel off and the car up a few weeks ago seeing if my spring spacers were still in place (they're not, lowering springs needed to get my nose down), and I was feeling all over the place in there and looking with a flashlight and mirror. Didn't see anything of awful concern, but next time I have it in the air with the wheels off I'll blow the flap clean with a compressor and check again.

Seems to be part of the routine maintenance on these; keep them dry, blow the crud out, and inspect for signs of rust. Lord knows I check my firewall every time I'm working in the cabin.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What size wheels do you have? I am starting to think that 16 inch wheels with the stock springs may give the desired look; I have Carl's springs and the Bilsteins and 16 inch wheels and the clearance is just passable so I guess it depends what you're looking for as my front end is very stiff. I have been so busy/distracted with the Polaris coupe I have not finished dialing in the suspension on the blue coupe but I'm not 100% sold on the suspension set up I have yet.

More on that later

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wd-40

WD-40 Uses:
1. Protects silver from tarnishing.
2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4. Gives floor that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.
5. Keeps the flies off of Cows, Horses, and other Farm Critters, as well. (Ya gotta love this one!!!)
6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7. Removes lipstick stains.
8. Loosens stubborn zippers.
9. Untangles jewelry chains.
10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12. Keeps ceramic / terracotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on both home and vehicles doors.
18. It removes that nasty tar and scuff marks from the kitchen flooring.
It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off.
Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
19. Remove those nasty Bug guts that will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly!
20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21. Lubricates gearshift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers...
22. Rids kids rocking chair and swings of squeaky noises.
23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31. Removes grease splatters from stovetops.
32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
37. Florida 's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
38. The favorite use in the state of New York , it protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose.
Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41. It is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray it on the marks and wipe with a clean rag.
42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
43. If you spray it inside a wet distributor cap, it will displace the moisture, allowing the engine to start.

P.S.
As for that Basic, Main Ingredient.......
Well.... it's FISH OIL....

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
What size wheels do you have? I am starting to think that 16 inch wheels with the stock springs may give the desired look; I have Carl's springs and the Bilsteins and 16 inch wheels and the clearance is just passable so I guess it depends what you're looking for as my front end is very stiff. I have been so busy/distracted with the Polaris coupe I have not finished dialing in the suspension on the blue coupe but I'm not 100% sold on the suspension set up I have yet.

More on that later

16"s and enough wheel gap to fit four fingers. It has Bilsteins and stock springs.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Current set up makes the car feel planted. Handles like a modern BMW. Bilstein HDs all around, front sport springs lower front 7/16ths rear are stock, anti-sway bars F-28mm, R- 22mm, right now I'm running stock 14" wheels but will be replacing them with 16" BBS RSs when the car returns from VSR.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't do this at home

So, I thought I would try painting the engine bay by meself. BTW-there is a big difference between cleaning and waxing.. and painting. After cleaning, prepping, priming, and repeating I decided to put my :breaking bad" skills to work. Well, If I ever go into crank production I will warn you now- find another source! Dialing in the gun was a little different than pressing the button on a rattle can; pressure, spray pattern, and volume are the main adjustments, the mixing is not too bad as they seem to have made the measuring cups pretty dummy proof but putting it all together takes a bit of practice, and little things can interrupt the even application. Also, spraying the clear can be tricky on polaris because it's hard to see the difference in some areas and that effects the smoothness of the final result (in my case). Then there is the smell, I need to re-think where I do this, what a mess. Anyhow, in the end I'm happy I did this job, I think it turned out "good", not great, but better than fair and almost all of it will be covered up when the engine is in so it should look really clean. I'm posting some shots below and I'll try to get a good view for those of you who may want to try this at home despite my warning :)

PS- one nice run in the clear on the left side

Attachments

• polaris before paint.jpg
    polaris before paint.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 216
  • paint meth lab.jpg
    paint meth lab.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 213
  • paint meth lab2.jpg
    paint meth lab2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 204
  • before clear2.jpg
    before clear2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 199
  • three coats of polaris new.jpg
    three coats of polaris new.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 209
  • scarry clown in the closet.jpg
    scarry clown in the closet.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 225
  • before clear.jpg
    before clear.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 223
  • done clear1.jpg
    done clear1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 204
  • done clear2.jpg
    done clear2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 197
  • done clear3.jpg
    done clear3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 211

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the views guys- truth is I can't wait to cover it up with various engine pieces-etc. I have to go in this morning to open the warehouse and turn on all the fans, so it will be interesting to see how she looks after removing all the wrapping etc.

Again, I appreciate the encouragement.