Hello From Sunny Florida

Reaction score
Hello, New member to the group. Like to introduce myself and my car, my 1972 Bavaria. I saved her not too long ago from a gentleman yard. It ran, and I got her home about two hours from Tallahassee. I then got home and the alternator pulley fell off.

So far, I've been able to replace the Alternator, replace spark plugs, and give her some new oil. (Cant find an oil filter that fits when it says it "fits", not even the actual BMW part # fits.).

She has some rust, and needs some more work like a new ignition tune up, ect. and she'll be a work in progress as I will be moving into a new home. She has a great interior, with the blue interior with a dash with no cracks.

IMG_4997_zps6be3c3bf.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
welcome to the gruppe. i had a 73 bavaria long ago ... they are a lot of fun for a sedan.

as to the oil filter, you probably need to verify if your engine has been changed or its original. if your filter is a cartridge type, does it unbolt from the top or the bottom?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I see you made it from Bimmerforums, welcome ;)

Search the forums and post your questions, lots of people here to help.

Reaction score
It bolts from the top.

Filter from BMW is about 1/4" too wide in diameter. Height is fine. Found a Wix that fits perfectly though.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's been changed to a top bolt filter which is a good thing, easier to change oil I think. I thought the top bolt uses a wider filter.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
isn't the top bolt filter from an e12 or e28?

the e12 + e28 part number is 11429063138 $13.37 penske
the e12 + e28 o-ring number is 11421741000 $4.75 penske

Reaction score
Hey rsporcshe,

Cant find the engine stamp. I know its supposed to be on the block close to the Transmission, and I see some writing, starting with a + but its barely able to be made out. any ideas?