Spare tire stock wheel?

m73

Reaction score
Quick question for you folks....my spare is a 14" steel wheel + Michelin xwx tire.

It seems original, but I have seen coupes with an alloy rim instead? My guess is that the owner decided to get a fifth alloy wheel, or maybe it was even an option from the factory?

So factory stock is which option? Also I presume xwx were the original tires fitted to all five wheels regardless of wheel design...?

An interesting bit of trivia which I hope hasn't been discussed before....

TIA

MF

Last edited:

m73

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, seems like that combo is probably the stock configuration. I guess I wonder if a 5th alloy wheel was an option or afterthought on some....

MF

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The window stickers that I have and have seen all say Michelin XAS or just "steel radial tires." This includes the 2800 and 3.0.

m73

Reaction score
I just double checked...195/70/14 Michelin xwx.

So that sets up the question....were ther two tire types/options?

MF

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do have have a US coupe? That might make a difference. I thought the xwx came primarily in larger sizes during that period. The XAS would have been 175-14 and was an 80 series tire, the XVS 195/70-14 was the 70 series improvement.

m73

Reaction score
I have euro model...I will also check the date stamp on my wheel for reference, it may not be from 73.

It may take me a few days to go back and check (sounds lazy of me I know).

MF

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris

You may be right. Mine is a U.S. model and it may be an XAS. Will check tonight. Steel rim definitely.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris

You may be right. Mine is a U.S. model and it may be an XAS. Will check tonight. Steel rim definitely.

Looked and unfortunately the original spare is in storage. Seems I thought a 20 year old tire might not make a great spare and mounted a new tire on one of the original alloy 14" wheels. But would wager it is an XAS or XVS upon further reflection.

m73

Reaction score
Update

Wheel is marked: 7/76 'kpz' et22

Tires are marked 'USA and Canada codes only' and VR rating

Guess I'll add looking for a correct date stamped wheel to my want list...

MF