Googout car???? It is in Beverly Hills

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Two quotes from the listing: "and still has the dirt on it from storage", and "had the mechanic go through the car to make it a good driver again."

Have to wonder why you'd have a mechanic go through it without at least getting it washed to get the dirt off from the storage???

Sometimes people's approach to selling mystifies me - ha

jmackro

Reaction score
Have to wonder why you'd have a mechanic go through it without at least getting it washed to get the dirt off from the storage???

Seller is probably trying to capitalize on the "barn find" craze: cars with rats' nests and chicken excrement selling for more than clean cars.

It's only a matter of time until someone begins selling "barn detritus in a can", some aerosol product that you spray on prior to sending the car off to Bonhans.

m73

Reaction score
I am not a clean-freak person, but aren't there health hazards to buying a car with animal 'stuff' in it?

I would 100% never, maybe parts, maybe out of desperation.

As far as elevator levels are concerned, this is about as low as it goes....maybe stolen cars/no titles are lower.

I wonder as car citizens, when should we draw the line. If these cars were people....well to each his/her own....

MF

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, I spent a good bit of time in 'barns' during my first 18 years of life. There was never anything associated with a barn that intrigued me about a car!! - ha.

I for one will NOT be buying the aerosol product!!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am not a clean-freak person, but aren't there health hazards to buying a car with animal 'stuff' in it?

I would 100% never, maybe parts, maybe out of desperation.

As far as elevator levels are concerned, this is about as low as it goes....maybe stolen cars/no titles are lower.

I wonder as car citizens, when should we draw the line. If these cars were people....well to each his/her own....

MF

Soooooo I'm guessing you don't want to work with me at the wrecking yard? ;-)

m73

Reaction score
Soooooo I'm guessing you don't want to work with me at the wrecking yard? ;-)

Don't get me wrong, sometimes barn finds are all there is. Plus why not try and save a car? Just not sure how they compare with other conditions after restoration.

Dang....I actually used to work at a wrecking yard....harouts in sun valley!....how much $$$ we talking about here? 8)

MF

James43

Reaction score
Outside of the possible Critter Litter, what do you guys think of this car's potential and immediate needs?

Thanks- James

jmackro

Reaction score
Outside of the possible Critter Litter, what do you guys think of this car's potential and immediate needs?

Well in the Craigslist ad, the seller says: "we just put a new battery in it and had the mechanic go through the car to make it a good driver again. It runs absolutely perfect just like it should with zero smoke or noises." And since people selling used cars always tell the 100% truth, I guess the car is now perfect.

All kidding aside, one strategy would be to ask the seller for the name of that mechanic and ask him what else the car needs. You might suggest that you are looking for a shop to complete the car's mechanical restoration and want to get an idea of its scope.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

Thanks- James

Since these cars are very good mechanically, I'd say getting it roadworthy would probably be fairly easy. Going off of the limited photos in the ad I'd say it will need a LOT of cosmetic work, how much would depend on your standards... cracked dash, wood is shot, unknown upholstery condition, and then there's the chassis and brightwork. Again, it all depends on what you want the car for. Has tons of potential, but starting at $8k would be better!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is a good ad when you can learn something from its pictures.

- Picture 1 shows that cleaning the rear windshield of a dirty car creates the illusion of the car having no glass. When I am very bored I clean just one of my backyard sliding doors to watch my friends walk through the clean glass every time. Very funny. I am down to two friends.
- Picture 2 shows the mechanic that replaced the battery. Now we need to just find him and ask.
- Picture 3, enlarged, shows a wire or string attaching the ignition key to the hazard flasher. Why? Wait for HB Chris next trivia installment.
- Picture 4 shows a pathology once discussed on the board, the flaccid speedometer needle. Some people have successfully used the flaccid needle defense in traffic court.

BTW, the underside pictures of the car look pretty good.

James43

Reaction score
I spoke to the owner and here is what I was told.

The gentleman selling the cars is a real estate agent and owns part of a retirement home. When an elderly man passed in the home, the family sold him the cars which the guy owned.

This car is supposedly straight and mechanically sound but admittedly needs paint and an interior. The car had been registered and is documented through 2 years ago. Would include a 'bare metal spray' for $3k because the body guy owes him money. $20k.

There is also a 3.0CSi which comes with new floors and treasure chest of alpine parts. The car is 'cobalt blue' with a blue cloth interior. Asking $30k with parts.

VIN's are:
3.0 CS: 4310372
3.0 CSi: 2263701

Is there anyone in LA to see these cars?

Attachments

• IMG_01599.jpg
    IMG_01599.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 157

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is getting more and more interesting, wonder what Alpina parts are hidden in the treasure chest.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5100944077.html

Car has been washed and cleaned inside, that should detract at least 25% from its price. No more original dust and rat Sh*t from the last 20yrs.

I don't understand the claim of being rust free when you can clearly see rust on the top of the drivers side fender and above the drivers side tail light.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5100944077.html

Car has been washed and cleaned inside, that should detract at least 25% from its price. No more original dust and rat Sh*t from the last 20yrs.

I don't understand the claim of being rust free when you can clearly see rust on the top of the drivers side fender and above the drivers side tail light.
i think they misspoke ... i think they got their words mixed up ... thats FREE RUST

72 Keso

Reaction score
Newbie post, so take it for what it is worth.

car is at body shop, seller is merc guy helping sell car for family seems to be a sincere guy.

I was interested in the fact that an original car and CSI were at one place. Went to look here is what I saw

CSI: complete rust bucket that is disassembled, inside body shop and covered by dust from body shop and parts. did not try to look in trunk too much stuff to move and limited time. passenger seat was removed and I could see floor through the holes in the floor pans. engine looked complete CSI engine and clean (aside from dust). under hood the fenders look rusted near shock tower, drip rails rusted. 4 rims in box, look like one piece basket weave style. the tag in the engine bay clearly states color and CS but I could not make out the "i". Also saw a box with a transmission.

This is clearly beyond my means, would need a body shop guy to look and and would need to check to see if he has all the parts needed. You would be building a new car. I did not have the time or knowledge to verify what need top be done and if parts where there. Seller believes he has all the parts but I do not know. Car is describe as previously noted and as seller indicated.

Other car (in the Craiglist ad)
very dark green 3.0 rust is surface. minimal bubbles at fender behind front tires and one spot at bottom of rear window. I do not believe there is serious rust but I am a newbie.maybe original color BUT inside hood there was some flaking where a red color was underneath? was the hood changed? did not notice other body damage.

However the tag that indicates color was missing. only tag has a vin number and nothing else. Also in the interior the part on the steering column with the vin number was surprisingly cover with white stains, dried salt. reminded me of bob big boy's car interior. but it was just the panel with the vin that was damaged? This is probably what is preventing me from considering car. I have picture of vin tag on my phone but do not know how to post.

Car started and ran fine but did not drive it. when clutch was press down it made a strange noise. No gauges worked, fuel, rpm, etc. AC did not work, power window for front were very, very, very slow and I did not wait to see if they closed all the way. rear did not work. Seats had bad cracks.

I think you would be buying a car that needs paint, all new rubber, and interior but has an original engine that works, aside from possibly dry rotted hoses

Not able to download picture, if you care send me email and I can forward engine bay picture to you. or if you questions, send me a message and you can interrogate me by phone.

Raul