Interesting discussion of Alpina 2800cs and 3.0CS and CSL

coupe74

Reaction score
Interesting discussion & "facts" about Alpina 2800s and 3.0CS and CSL, ie Alpina B1 and B2 . Haven't seen this discussion on our own board.

I snagged a copy of what appears to be (in German) an original 1971 brochure for Alpina CS at the bottom of that page and will try to get it posted here and to the photo gallery. Anyone care to try and do a translation?

alpina1.jpg

jhjacobs

Reaction score
My German is rusty so no promises on the accuracy of this translation:
----------------------------------------
Program tips from BMW-ALPINA

You can buy yourself a BMW and out-drive away almost all other automobiles
This is fun and not even very expensive.
However, you can also buy a BMW-ALPINA and out-drive all other BMW’s.
This is even more fun; however, is also a little more expensive.

So that you know how much this fun cost, we have assembled this small prospectus with different BMW-ALPINA details. You can convert to these cars here completely and TUV-approved (with exclusion to the competitive vehicle) to the offered. You should already have a BMW, that is not in bad condition. We retrofit them just as gladly and well if it is your wish. It is only a little more expensive.

… Skipping 2002 models …

BMW-ALPINA 2800 (Type B 1)
The basis for the very fast touring vehicles is the BMW 2800. The special ALPINA 2.8L motor produces 205 HP. An ALPINA creation with stiff strut suspension struts and adjustable stabilizers as well as vented front disk brakes provides count for excellent handling and assuredbraking, leather steering wheel, sport seats, safety glass windshield as well as VR-tires are standard equipment.
Acceleration: 0-100km/h in 8 second
Top Speed: over 215km/h
Price: 26,500 marks (about $8500US at time)

BMW-ALPINA 3.0 S (Type B 2)
A 215 HP stronger special ALPINA motor (3 liter) makes this car the fasted BMW sedan. A limited-slip differential completes the high performance equation for this ALPINA creation. Heated rear window, safety glass windshield, ALPINA leather steering wheel, sport seats, VR tires and also cockpit instruments for oil pressure, oil temperature, and water temperature are standard.
Acceleration: 0-100km/h in 7.5 second
Top Speed: over 220km/h
Price: 29,600 marks (about $9000US at time)

BMW-ALPINA 3.0 CS (Race / Tour Vehicle)
The ALPINA Race / Tour Vehicle 3.0 CS has achieved numerous victories against tough competition in the past years. As the future standard basis of race-tour vehicles this 3-liter coupe serves with especially low weight. The vehicle is constructed to F1A-Reglement group II standards.

As a driver selection a 310 HP ALPINA race engine (carbureted) or an over powered BMW ALPINA race engine with (Kugelfischer = brand?) fuel injection.
Racing chassis, 5 speed transmission, rear axle with differential lock and oil cooling, direct steering translation (variable rate?), raceflag print seats, race roll cage, aluminum body parts, safety main switch, racing seatbelts (?), flared fenders with integrated front spoiler are part of the extended equipment, there are many other deviations in this series.

Malc

Reaction score
Kugelfisher
Is the mechanical fuel injection system as fitted to the 2002Tii (Mine included)
Used in other vehicles of the same era such as the Peugeot 505
Often used on racing cars including BMW F1 engine cars of the period and Ferrari
Very good system once set up correctly. and returns better fuel economy than the same engine on carbs. injects at a much higher pressure than modern FI systems, about the same as a diesel engine!

Believe the company was absorbed by Bosch, maybe in the late 1980's
Just about impossible to get parts now though there are one or two people reconditioning the pumps. Don't know about the injectors but I have a few in stock!
Malc

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I'm glad Kugelfischer is brand because it translates to "Ball Fisherman" and I was having trouble figuring out what this could possible mean in the context of an ALPINA BMW :roll:

Malc

Reaction score
The system uses balls (as valves) and plungers driven by a cam to pump the petrol to the injectors, could be where the name came from?
Malc

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Ball valves? Perhaps. After checking a dictionary I learned it also appears to mean "globe fish" or "puffer fish" which I could also imagine puffing out jets of fuel...

My German comes from my childhood in Austria were I learned Kinder-Deutsch. Perhaps we have a real German board member (non-bureaucrat) who could help out with the translation / origin of the word "Kugelfischer" in regard to fuel injection on ALPINA 3.0 CS's