Bumper or not???

mr bump

Reaction score
I'm nearly ready to fit a csl type front splitter/spoiler to my cs, but after looking at google images for what seems an eternity, I'm unsure wether or not to refit the front bumper back after the chin spoiler I'd fitted. I've looked at cars with them on and without and both look good, but once I deceide to fit the bumper, I have to file x2 slots into the spoiler to fit the bumper, so once the decision is made, there's no going back. The cars silver, wether that makes a difference or not, but what's the thinking of those who have and haven't fitted the bumper??

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Leaving the front bumper on gives you a small amount of protection from parking dents and damage and looks more elegant in my opinion. With the front bumper off and a spoiler installed the car definitely has more of a bad boy or race car image. It really comes down to personal taste and what you like. ~ John Buchtenkirch

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Never been a fan of the bumper less look on an E9 sporting the CSL type air dams, not even on an original CSL. Leave the bumper on!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if the car is going to be driven, i would keep the bumper. great noses are getting harder to replace

Bwana

Reaction score
Yep, I have the same color (colour :grin: ?) and I put the bumper back on. Not sure if the "protection" aspect is true but I think it looks better with the bumper.

PA090073.jpg

Note you need to find some sort of rubber spacer to act as a stand off at the end. These are some sort of Chevy engine mounts

PA090072.jpg

PA090071.jpg

Getting the slots correct can be a bit of a challenge. I used a lot of tape and a helper to get it set correctly then marked the spots with a grease pen. Still ended up longer than necessary.

shanon

Reaction score
Alright, I'll be that guy.

+1 bumperless.
you can always put it on later after running around naked.

either way, looks good.

keep coupin!

;-)

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll say bumperless as well. The chrome bumpers are nice; however, big chrome bumpers tend to date an otherwise timeless body. Kind of like putting "mom" jeans on a supermodel. It would be interesting to know if the original coupe designers drew the concept with bumpers, or if they were an afterthought safety feature.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
No Bumper, 2mph accident equals $5000.
With Bumber 4MPH accident equals $6000
I'd leave the bumper.

TodB

Reaction score
bumper

I ran 10 years with air dam and without bumper. I added the bumper back last Spring. I like both looks but I think I like the look with the bumper better. I think.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I feel the chrome bumpers are part of what makes our cars timeless and classic. I doubt in the late 60s with cars still lathered in chrome that they were ever thought of as a safety feature. The chrome on our cars is understated in those days. Wind tunnels did not rule back then.
Steve