Exhaust reconfiguration

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
One of the last things left on my restoration is upgrading the exhaust. I currently have the stock (and perhaps even original components) 3.0 exhaust. I am replacing the pieces from the head to the rear muffler (which is fairly new). The rear muffler and tail pipe may be a future improvement. It seems that the 3.5 liter engine could use a slightly larger diameter system and I believe some joints, and the center resonator, are leaking. Allen, (aka PAMP) up north has been a good sounding board/motivator for some of what I have been able to cobble together so far.

Magnaflow makes a 1-3/4" stainless downpipe merging to a 2-1/2" outlet that fits the last iteration of the 3 bolt cast iron manifolds (pn 1 274 808 ). The downpipes needed to have 1" trimmed off the top flange ends. This was fairly easy, cut off the flanges, trim the pipe and re-weld the flanges (otherwise the bottom pipes/merge hang too low).

So my question is, exactly how should the center portion be set up? Attached are plans of two options: with and without a catalytic converter. My understanding is the cat. has very little restriction on the gas flow (and hence a potentially positive upside - cleaner exhaust). This however would require using a shorter center resonator. The cat. does contribute to the quieting of the exhaust some, so that may offset the shorter resonator. I may ultimately have to try both setups, but would rather not. Part of me says go simple and use the 22" resonator sans cat., the other, eco-friendly in me says otherwise.

Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• ExhaustOptions.jpg
    ExhaustOptions.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 477
  • SSDownpipes.jpg
    SSDownpipes.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 402
  • FlangeTrimming.jpg
    FlangeTrimming.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 379
  • ManifoldCloseup.jpg
    ManifoldCloseup.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 348
  • ManifoldVariation.jpg
    ManifoldVariation.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 388

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Exhaust options

Hi Sven,

I think I would start with opt 1 sans resonator - you could always add it after if too loud. Add the resonator and it's probably very close to the stock 3 pc system in sound level and that is pretty quiet. Cat plus magnaflow rear is close to what I'm planning.

I think your opt 1 - cat plus rear muffler - wouldn't be much louder than my current stock resonator and rear muffler which is quieter than the intake sound of either the 38/38 webers I had or my current EFI with cone air filter. At idle all you hear is the intake. Floor it and the intake and exhaust are about equal.

I really like what you've done with the magnaflow downtubes and merge. Wonder if I could weld the cone flange ends to that for the b35 exhaust manifolds I have?

Keep us posted on further developments please,

Doug

TodB

Reaction score
resonator

When I was part of the exhaust group buy years ago, I opted to swap in a straight 2 into 1 pipe for the resonator. It is loud, like I can hear you before I can see you loud so I'll bet you'll want a resonator. Every year, I say I'm going to get a resonator, this may be the year.

Also, don't count on the cat to have any real effect on reducing the exhaust sound. I took mine off my E28 5 series and it had no effect on sound at all.

Good luck with what you choose!

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Downpipes

Doug - For the downpipe compatibility I think it would depend on the drop angle of the manifolds being close to the same. Obviously they are spaced fore and aft the same. The Magnaflow pipes have a section of about 2" from the flange down where they are parallel to each other. Below that the pipe angles are different.

Tod - Interesting, both the muffler shop and the Magnaflow tech guy say that the catalytic converters do have an affect on sound. The tech could not (or would not) quantify anything since they do not measure the cats. contribution because it is not intended for sound absorption.

TodB

Reaction score
cat

Tod - Interesting, both the muffler shop and the Magnaflow tech guy say that the catalytic converters do have an affect on sound. The tech could not (or would not) quantify anything since they do not measure the cats. contribution because it is not intended for sound absorption.

I was surprised as well. On my E28, I removed the stock downpipes and cat and replaced both with Bavauto headers into an X pipe and then dual straight piped back into the OEM resonator and muffler (no cat).The exhaust tone is different due to the headers, but not appreciably louder than stock.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Installed and sounds great

Update - I finally received the downpipes and manifolds back from the ceramic coater. I ended up going with the 9" catalytic converter and the 18" long resonator. It just barely fit. I also formed up an aluminum sheet heat shield that is riveted to the welded on tabs.

The sound is close to stock, but with a slightly lower tone/growl.

Attachments

• ExhaustParts.jpg
    ExhaustParts.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 386
  • ManifoldCoated.jpg
    ManifoldCoated.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 296
  • EGTprobeCloseup.jpg
    EGTprobeCloseup.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 296
  • CtrResonatorCat.jpg
    CtrResonatorCat.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 307
  • FlexShield.jpg
    FlexShield.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 334

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
.... and installed

Here is the setup on the car.

Attachments

• ExhaustIntstalled.jpg
    ExhaustIntstalled.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 415

pamp

Reaction score
Very nice

Sven, your attention to detail is beyond reproach....incomparable. Glad to have played a minor role. Hope you can find the time to make some drawings for others to follow.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sound - similar to stock but with a slightly lower pitch growl.

Cost - ~$1,100 US. This includes everything in the first photo except for the 6 EGT probes. All this is sized for the larger 3.5 liter motor (with capacity to spare).

Magnaflow SS downpipes (1-3/4") ~$330
Used manifolds ~$60
Magnaflow Cat. & resonator ~ $135
SS pipe bends (2-1/2") ~$90
Tig welding ~$120
V-band clamps ~$80
Flex coupling ~$20
Ceramic coating ~ $265

I suppose to finish it off, adding a rear muffler, more bends and a polished tail pipe (from the muffler to the end), might add another $300-400.

Final plan of center section:

Attachments

• FinalExhPlan.jpg
    FinalExhPlan.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
ceramic coating

Luis - Check out PerformanceCoatings.com for the ceramic coating. This was there 2000° version. They clean and apply it to both inside and outside surfaces. A number of colors are available.

They are located just south of Seattle, but take shipments from all over.

pamp

Reaction score
Yes

Interesting stuff this is. There was a certain evolution to this project and it started over a year ago. The system I had on my car was in poor shape with a lot of sub standard work to say the least. Plus one of my down pipes had a serious ding....weird as it appeared to be done on purpose, but for why? No idea.
I was considering different systems and talking to all that would answer my questions. The boys at "CoupeKing" at that time did not want to split anything up on their systems and would not ship to Canada…. OK....now I am on my own. Judy Stahl was very helpful for specification as well as Carl Bennett at Korman. Lots of ways to go with exhaust and many differing opinions. Not much in the way of support here where I live shy of Budget Muffler. So research required . I also felt that a nice system could be built for reasonable $$$. I pre-paid and hoped a good used set of post 1988 down pipes for the 635 CSi to show at O2 salvage (thanks Marshall) This took nearly a year, they are rare. These are 2 inch and fit the two bolt style manifold. In the mean time, I bought a set of 1987 635i spec. down pipes with cat from a Canadian supplier, Bosal. They were cheap, so to speak, $240. The test fit was no good to the stock manifolds. So I preceded to cut and weld to make good. This we refer to as "Pipes 1.0" Basically 1 3/4 down pipes to a merge...1 3/4 to 2 1/4 with the bung just past the junction. This is as BMW designed as the proper position for the O2 sensor on the 1988-89 635i. Meanwhile, again, some headers showed up on 'da Bay....I bought these and had them ceramic coated. The so called "headers of mystery" Nicad has a set as well and I still have no idea as to the fabricator.
I can weld mild, no stainless...gotta learn.
Prior to install of the headers I did some testing and comparison, measurements as to have a base line. Please keep in mind that at the end of the day it is velocity of the exhaust gasses that is important and not necessarily the elimination of back pressure. I measured back pressure from the bung with a water manometer.
In conversation with Sven, I asked " why do you figure those '87 pipes did not fit? Seems to me the "clocking" of the bolt pattern may be different. Did they use a different manifold in 1987?" He says "I dunno....I thought all were same until the two bolt....let me find out" Turns out my intuition was correct.These are #808 286 808 here after referred to as the "808". Stock on my car was 603 250 603 or the 603. The two bolt is #816 286 816. There was in 1987 a change for some 8 months only, until they made the change to the two bolt ball and cone. Sven found two sets of the 808's on the 'Bay. Says "you buy one set I buy the other" " "Get a set of the Magnaflow #23556 and lets see" This was the "skunk works" exhaust and we did not want to share if the deal was no good.The trouble arose as these pipes I believe were designed for the sedan. Also that their jigs are a little off. Sven made the corrections as required. I validated off the test engine as to fit.
Volume for the three cast manifolds as followed :
816....425 cc
808....350 cc
603....300 cc
As you see there is volume differences as to the cast manifolds. Air in and spent gases out. The normally aspirated engine needs a balance. Finding the right combination without benefit of 'dyno is a chore. Trial and error.
It is my opinion that these 808's are very nice. Even cast and porting vs the others. What Sven has done is the correct combination of the 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 system using the 808 manifold applicable to the stock 3.5.
I did no back pressure testing for the 816.
The headers work for my car using 2 1/4 pipes and mufflers, 3.3 and stock cam. These have 1/1/2 tubes and "short" style. I did a reduction to 1 3/8'' prior to the merge to the 2 1/4 pipe. The manometer readings showed that "pipes 1.0" were "spiky" for lack of a better term. The headers were a gradual climb and the result was a little more back pressure at WOT. This leads me to believe that the headers were "tuned".... back in the day. Much as we did with motorcycle pipes, balanced for better flow. Similar to carb tuning to the bubble. The headers are more quiet than 1.0. Nice torque curve by my seat of the pants. Burble....certainly I will get questions as to why I choked it down a bit....that is another story and again, much research on the subject. My way and others will not agree. Too bad. As you can see I used band clamps, same as the "CoupeKing" The V-bands are much more elegant and provide positive sealing.
A few still make new headers. Judy can supply from 1 3/8 to 1 5/8'' *Mild to wild as it were. These are long tube design.
These are what they sell to deep pocket customers at Korman, cheaper you get from Judy. Ireland builds to 1 5/8 spec. and short tube, I dunno. The Dane's have the 1 5/8 and short tube....could work.
Be careful not to "over pipe" is my opinion.
My friend in Alberta has the 2 inch pipes from this project and will test further with the 'hypo 3.5. Let me share some of the photos as the project developed on my shade tree island end of the show.
http://s552.photobucket.com/albums/jj325/allenpinc/Bimmer exhaust/
http://s552.photobucket.com/albums/jj325/allenpinc/635 exhaust/Headers of Mystery/
http://s552.photobucket.com/albums/jj325/allenpinc/635 exhaust/
In these...pipes 1.0, the header fit. test fit of the 2 inch.... experiments

Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
original

I ran out of room.
This solution is all original thinking and has not been tried before. We be proud...cost aside.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am impressed by all the Exhaust R&D on the West coast. When mine gets bolted back together it will be the stock system hooked up to Pamps headers. I think I want some similar heat shields Allan. How did you attach them? Are those from a Coupe, Bavaria , other?

pamp

Reaction score
Bob,
In the second photo album you can see the brackets I made up. Only one for each shield, and I had enough extra stud length on #2 and #5 to sister over and nut. Drilled the sheet metal to match and bolt on the shields. Quick and dirty for sure, but functional for now.
You bring up a good point however. After I did the header install I was concerned about under hood temperatures even with the ceramic coat. Took some "on the fly" readings with a Fluke probe under the hood, with and without the shields. The shields dropped the temp. 10 degrees in normal driving conditions and over 30 degrees at shut down. The deadly "heat soak" that will negate any improvements you make to engine breathing. Pretty amazing what a couple of cheesy stamped sheet metal bits can do. I am putting out some feelers for the desired E3 alloy shields and will retro those on once acquired. At present, the current project is improvements to the cooling system, another learning curve.