3.5 m30 head removal question

steve

Reaction score
So to remove the head in the bentley manual it says to remove the timing chain cover from the front of the engine. But it seems that if your careful not to drop the chain that this step could be skipped? Seems to me you could just remove the upper cover to remove the cam gear?

I'm I wrong?

corsachili

Reaction score
Steve my boy,

Did you ever get your DSSR from Rob at UUC? Is it the right part?

You're correct, no need to remove the front timing cover. Just be careful not to drop thetiming chain down inside. Even if you don't it's not terribly critical, you can fish it out with needle nose pliers or a coat hanger. I've taken heads of M30 motors at least 5 times without removing the front timing cover. It's a bitch to do, you need a puller for the crank hub, and it's one more gasket that might fail when you reseal it.

Sounds like you're really down in it Steve. Good luck!

TJ
"signing off from Barcelona, home of 2007 3GSM World Congress"

Philip Slate

Reaction score
You can use a coat hanger to fashion a rather crude but workable hook to keep the gear and chain together and it also is a sort of third hand when maneuvering the head over the chain.

steve

Reaction score
Good I was hoping that was the case.

Yes TJ I got it from him but 137 ended up being to long as well. Mine neede to be 125. I could install it but then I couldnt go into 1st, 3rd or 5th. Not to worry though I have a machinist friend who was able to shorten it for me. :D

I'm thinking about changing the cam in my motor and that I will be happier with a broader torque curve and I think it may be a cure for the tuning issues I have been chasing around.

Just what cam to replace it with is the question right now. I'm thinking a 292 which is what I originally wanted to run in it.