72 3.0 CS ALPINA?

bayareasj06

Reaction score
I saw a photo of a 72 3.0 CS that has a badge/logo.... ALPINA.... on the trunk lid ( facing the rear of the car it is on the left side across from the 3.0CS badge). The badge is a chrome like material.

What does this badge ALPINA mean? Is this a certain type of CS? Or did someone put it on the car and, therefore, has on other meaning. Looking at other photos of the car it does not seem to be any different than any other 3.0 CS.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Alpina is an aftermarket upgrader of BMWs. They usually only do full car conversions, such that you buy the car from them.

The main way to tell if it was an Alpina coupe was to see if the Alpina badge was anywhere on the car, or see if there were any additional body components. It probably wasn't.

duane_sword

Reaction score
there was an original Alpina B2 for the BMW 3.0CS

There was an Alpina B2 model modified directly by Alpina in Buckloe Germany, this was prior to the heavily modified CSL 'Batmobile' that dominated touring car racing in Europe through the mid/late 1970s.

Alpina is more than a tuning house (such as Schnitzer, Dinan, Racing Dynamics), Alpina turns out complete vehicles with modifications all backed by BMW (unlike the others).

In the early 1970s Alpina did make the B2, or there were some 'standard' 3.0 CS models retrofitted (though not by Alpina themselves, just using Alpina goodies).

I have a 1974 BMW 3.0 CS with after-market Alpina elements (ie Alpina suspension, B2 brakes, Alpina air-dam, interior elements, Alpina plenum etc).

Happy to send you photos if interested, or there is a link at:

http://boston-bmwcca.org/cars/displaycar.aspx?seq=117

best regards

Duane Sword

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
What a great example. If I remember correctly, it used to have the big bumpers too. It would great to see more photos.

duane_sword

Reaction score
Hello David, yes it used to have the big US bumpers. I have a bunch of photos I would be happy to send to you, and I am in the middle of writing an article for my local BMW CCA chapter in Boston who requested an article now the coupe has been restored. My private email is [email protected] best regards Duane Sword