My Job

pamp

Reaction score
6b28509381a0769931c8f12b93d0b610.jpg

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
So is this another way of saying you're not enjoying this particular winter on the Sunshine Coast? Looks like it's about to broach.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I feel for you.

I still have piles of snow to the sides of my road.
And the Coupe is NOT going out for some time (till the &^%$ they use to sand the road is washed all away - I can't stand it on my E38 either!)

Yeah - 'Sunshine' Coast - yes...

hehe - Spent many nice times up in Campbell River - Quadra Island.

pamp

Reaction score
Awww

This shot was taken by me off the coast of Massachusetts in fact. The infamous "nor'easter. Delivery of two tugs. One with Voith props, the other w/ Z-drive. The boys in the harbor had never seen the likes. LNG...bring it on. And hey, Doug, this shots for you. Gotta love it........

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Iced over Tug Boat

My question is--how does Tugboat Annie tell where she is headed when covered with ice--by instruments alone?

Wow--on the other hand we have been having--as AlGore promised--some local sampling of real "Global Warming" with temperatures from high 70's to low 80's for the past 2 weeks--hardly a drop of rain but some promised in the next couple of days.

BTW hate to remind those snow bound of a--LOCAL NEWS FLASH!!
It's been GREAT COUPE weather here--about 8 of us Coupesters gathered at Cars 'n Coffee in Irvine last Saturday morning to welcome and greet a newly identified Coupe owner here in the neighborhood--so along with about 350 other "car nuts"--we filled the large Mazda and Ford Premier Automotive Group's employee parking lot to overflowing with an amazing display and array of vehicles that ranged from museum pieces to the most exotic of the exotics.

If any of you happen to be visiting our area on vacation or business--this is a must see event--visitors from all over our globe show up and come away shaking their heads in amazement or amusement that this is simply a spontaneous weekly gathering of Car Guys and not a specially scheduled event--and sponsored solely by the good graces of two key people from the previously mentioned auto companies.

Weather permitting this weekly happening here in SoCal replaced our former several year gathering at Crystal Cove. CC was an extraordinary setting--overlooking the Pacific Ocean between Corona del Mar and Laguna Beach. The financial King of Orange County (kingpin of the Irvine Co.) kicked us out of that great setting as some numb nuts insisted on burn outs and motor revving in early morning that disturbed the owners of the multi-million $ houses just above the CC shopping center--and I suspect there were complaints as well that those pampered folks were also put out by having to wait in line at Starbucks for their lattes.

When the Ford Premier Auto Group finally disappears--only Volvo is left of its original cluster of cars--we may have to move on again so as to not just "put 'em away" as our less fortunate Coupe owners must do what with snow banks, frijid temps, icey and salted roads from Fall 'til Spring.

pamp

Reaction score
Tugs

Indeed. This shot is of the former Foss tug "America" taken from the stern of the "Sandra Foss" delivered to our new company, Constellation Maritime, of Boston, MA. We had two tugs in tow, "dead boat" We picked up the "Leo Foss" in Portland, OR then on to Long Beach, CA and picked up the "America" from there through the Panama Canal and around to Boston. No need to worry, no crew aboard when this shot was taken! Just one of those Kodak moments, not something you see everyday sort of deals. Kind of cool, spooky, like the "Flying Dutchman" piloted by ghosts! We were the pioneers of Voith technolgy in the U.S. Anyone unfamiliar with this propulsion should google it up. Neat stuff.
Oh and being kicked off of Irvine Co. land in Orange county? First time for me was in 1967 very close to the crystal cove area in fact, 8 yr old on horseback. Some things never change.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hah, small world. I used to work in the Charlestown Navy Yard (in the MGH building) and my window faced the harbor/Logan. Between watching the LNG tankers, cement barges, tugs, and planes coming/going, I barely got any work done.
Wayyyy before that, I was at UCI (where I had at least one run-in with the Irvine Co.) and randomly came across the Crystal Cove gathering when I was supposed to be picking up my girlfriend who worked at some nearby gelato shop. Don't know if it was just that day, but in the late 80's was it more muscle than foreign?