CSL Restoration

RobHannett

Reaction score
I own a '73 CSL (2285.275) which is currently being restored by Jaymic in Norfolk, UK.
The present colour is Verona Red, though it's been found during the work that the original colour appears to have been Polaris silver.
All the history I have going back to 1980 has the colour as red.
Does anyone know how I can found out the original factory spec? I'm also interested to know whether people think it should be resprayed in the red as I've always known it, or back to the original silver?

Cheers
Rob

CookeD

Reaction score
You could look inside the driver's door for the paint code that's on the riveted tag and match it up, or if you e-mail the chassis # to BMW Mobile Traditions, and they should be able to tell you:

[email protected]

Good luck

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Silver or Red?

For the Purist, back to original,but as the majority of these cars that came out with metalics had to be resprayed (Especially the Polaris Silver,it only lasted about two years in the sun)
I dont think it really changes much in terms of value, So spray it the colour you most like.
regrads

Dave B

Reaction score
Rob,

I agree with the other guys who have posted. You would be able to find out the original colour, but go with what you want! Some groups / forums can be a bit "anal" but not in here!

A lot of posts in this board relate to engine swaps, wheel changes, etc. Bear in mind that most modifications and alterations can be reversed.

Do whatever is going to put a smile on your face. Enjoy your E9!

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
The only advice I would offer on paint is DO A GOOD JOB.

If you want to win councours, or if you are in this for a long term investment, then you should do the original color (right after you resasses your investment strategy!!). HOWEVER, the paint quality and the completeness of the repaint are more important (at least in my mind) than matching the original color. Verona Red is breathtakingly beautiful. Arien Hendel (Arde) has one and it is simply gorgeous. So my advice is like everyone else.. go with what pleases you.

S

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Verona is the answer, what's the question

The driver door tag for Verona has a very long german word followed by the number 24.
If the number ain't 24 it isn't a true blonde.

I'd do a nice Verona repaint and then change the riveted tag to read 24, so you have
the nicest color plus originality... If they catch you, you blame the mythical previous owner. Verona Uber Alles!

e9.jpg

racerxx

Reaction score
Verona Red Sure Is Pretty

Totally agree with previous post. And since it wasn't repainted Beige or some other bland color, I see your desire to go with that very sexy and somewhat exclusive Verona Red. It seems as long as you paint it a BMW coupe period correct color, then you can claim some originality.

Good luck and post some pictures when it's complete.

John Raho

Yannick

Reaction score
Original Paint

Hi Rob,

I think to already have told you (old board) the original paint of your CSL +2285 275+ is Polaris. Have you maybe missed my post?

Anyway, the original paint of your car was Polaris. Believe me!

RobHannett

Reaction score
Thankyou all.
Having got a reply from BMW archives, it appears it was Silver. I think I'm going to stick with the red as it's how I've always known it. As soon as I get it back (hopefully in the next month or so, I'll post some pics.

Thanks again.

Rob