This is your engine on drugs

corsachili

Reaction score
I had breakfast with a friend of mine this morning and drove the CSL. The tank was empty and the timing was right. I stopped by a local gas station that sells 100 octane fuel. I put in 7 gallons of that, and then added 91 to fill the tank.

When I got home I advanced the spark to where it should be (7 degrees BTDC, vacuum hose connected).

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. It accelerates beautifully, the engine is responsive and spools to redline with a combination of big six snarl and jet-engine whine that is the most intoxicating thing I've heard short of an Alfa, Ducati or Ferrari.

I don't think I can drive the car any other way.

BTW-the 100 octane fuel was $4.79 a gallon, which isn't too bad considering the market for gasoline now.

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Yup!!!

That's why I mix my own gas for the M90...

Amazing how nicley these engine s run when they arte timed properly and run on the right gas.

S

corsachili

Reaction score
Well yeah, it's cool and all, but it makes driving the car pretty inconvenient. Short of storing 10 gallon drums of fuel there's no easy way to make sure the car is getting the boost she needs in order to run properly.

pj

Reaction score
TJ I am so happy for you that you've got her going, now when are you pulling her apart,

Kidding Mate good on ya lets hook up down the brit one evening/lunchtime

PJ

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
TJ, PJ, Arde and others...

Anyone up for a romp sunday AM?

Meet at Starbuck's Saratoga, head up 9, out Skyline to 84, down 84 to the beach and back?

If we head out early we can be back to stripping paint by noon!

Sadly, I will be in my Euro 635 and not my decrepit E9, but I guess that just means you will have to try to keep up!! heh heh...

S

corsachili

Reaction score
By the way, I priced Toluene at Sherwin Williams today..............nearly 15 bucks a gallon. And they want your driver's license.............seems it's one of the active ingredients used to make crystal meth. See? I said it was a drug......................

corsachili

Reaction score
Scott,

I like the idea of a drive but this Sunday won't work for me. The following Sunday is the Palo Alto Concours. How about we do a local coupe guy drive on Saturday, and everyone should go to the show on Sunday. Terry..........Shawn.........Kurt...........PJ.............Arde.........Scott................let's get a good showing of Coupes out on the road.

corsachili

Reaction score
PJ-

I don't plan on taking her off the road (seriously, I don't) for a very long time. Let's hope things stay that way. What I need to focus on now is the myriad of small finishing touches, mostly in the interior. I was just watching the Rat Rods episode of Rides...............hell, our cars are done compared to most of those! I am not ashamed to admit that I think a lot of those cars are really cool.......................maybe a nice leadsled Merc is in my future. After the Alfa of course.

PS-a couple pints at the Brit sounds excellent...............let's try to do that next week sometime?

pj

Reaction score
woodys on the wharf on saturday.
might see if I can fit the 2 child seats and the double stroller in 'cham' or take the suv.
some seriuosly sweet rides there

corsachili

Reaction score
Is that this Saturday? I would like to see that. In the past it's been pretty cool. I have an engagement later in the afternoon though, so I wouldn't be able to spend all day. I was thinking of a drive next Saturday, before the PA Concours.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After a week of driving rental mini-Vans in Chicago I need the detoxication E9 drive you guys are planning. I cannot do this Saturday, but can do late Sunday or next Saturday.

BTW, will somebody bring some of that high octane fuel so I can try it on my E9? I have been using regular and the only detonations I have are sometimes when shutting off the engine.

pj

Reaction score
My Bad guys
woodies on the wharf is next sat, good thing is we can organise a few cars to hook up see the show and have a blast up hwy1.

I have just put the 2 kids seats in Cham and the double stroller too. They should have a blast tomorrow (hopefully) who needs a suv anyway

PJ

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
100 Octane / Oh Yea!

Rakearch and I have found a "76" station on the other side of town that sells 100 octane. It has taken on the nickname "happygas" as the effect on the motor that you have just described. This morning it was $5.99 a gallon. The rationalization that I use is: If I was driving the coupe in Europe, this price would be perfectly acceptable.

It is amazing how much more responsive the motor is on this fuel. For the few hours per month that we actually consume 100 octane, it is worth every dip into the accelerator! Enjoy!