Period correct "E9" type face or font for t-shirt

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd like to make some t-shirts with a subtle "E9" logo of some sort, does anyone have any old brochures or catalogues from BMW that show a stylized text for this designation? Is it ever referenced in print from back in the day? I'd like to have some kind of cool legitimate 70's font or something. This may or may not be incorporated into a small detail of the car etc.

Then I will offer up the shirt for the forum members. I'm very picky about my hats and shirts (ask my wife) so it will be a small, subtle logo on a high quality shirt.

So please check your archives and memorobilia for anything interesting that says "E9" and forward it along, if I use it you'll get a free shirt!

OKilligan

Reaction score
dc4777aa8bbd22ff91fef28f99571d07.jpg

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

TravL350

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am fairly certain the official BMW font is Helvetica...for example "BMW M Power" on the valve cover etc. but not sure I have ever seen a logo for the chassis codes.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here's an idea ... we can change the font to get the 2800cs + 3.0cs closer to what it should be. in the top idea, the shirt color would be the white ... in the bottom one, the shirt color would be what is black

e9.jpg
e9 reverse.JPG

restart

Reaction score
This is guideline for advertising and from 1989, but interesting nonetheless for extrapolation?
News gothic for small and futura extra bold condensed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    906.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    963.1 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101

restart

Reaction score
That's not subtle:).
The smaller letters are close but the E and the nine are to stocky.
I still save the rags from my senior six shirts!
Al

here's an idea ... we can change the font to get the 2800cs + 3.0cs closer to what it should be. in the top idea, the shirt color would be the white ... in the bottom one, the shirt color would be what is black

View attachment 25046 View attachment 25047

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's not subtle:).
The smaller letters are close but the E and the nine are to stocky.
I still save the rags from my senior six shirts!
Al
it is, IF it is not very big ... and if its black on gray or white on gray. in actuality, the font is the same on my idea - Impact ... this is drawn in autocad, so its just a quick idea ... not a great graphics representation for printing. the drawing is nominally 2" x 3" ... so any scale that is 2 units wide x 3 units high

shanon

Reaction score
An E9 font for consideration.

Attachments

• 20170329_102944.jpg
    20170329_102944.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 87

restart

Reaction score
IMG_5440.PNG This is close for me but needs alignment centred and sizes tweaked. Does one need to be mindful of putting out a correct web address in terms of thinning the gene pool.sorry for e pun.

I think the vertical order might be changed to fit corporate suggestions. Ie

IMG_5438.PNG

Last edited:

restart

Reaction score
The t shirt version of this print ad suffers from cutting pasting and compression..
IMG_5439.JPG
I can't put my finger on my actual print version, but IMO it should be formatted more like This.

IMG_5441.PNG

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm partial to the block font with upper case "E". Makes it seem more serious, business-like, professional... The only reference I have is seeing newer BMW parts identified with the chassis numbers. All use uppercase letter with the numbers.... E90, F10, etc.

restart

Reaction score
Here is the E and the 9 in futura extra bold condensed from the 89 design book. I see now it is blockier than I thought and close to the E Scott posted. And for good measure the lower case e in futura extra bold condensed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 72