WTB: C-pillar badge

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm searching for a C-pillar badge, it doesn't have to be pristine but if possible in good or very good shape.

I'm about to install my headliner and the vinyl that covers the A and C pillars, and made a late decision to replace one of my badges that is sliiightly cracked. Much easier to replace now than later on.

As I'm in a bit of a hurry to get it, I'd prefer to find one in Europe, but if someone in U.S has one and can ship soon, please write here or start a conversation.

Thanks in advance,

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Gransin, the base is screwed in to the grommet to the body and the badge you just push into place all from outside! Joe

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Gransin, the base is screwed in to the grommet to the body and the badge you just push into place all from outside! Joe

Hi Joe,

Yes I have two, or is it three brand new C-badges that are "push into place" badges, all bought directly from BMW. However, none of them fit.
The first and the biggest problem is that all of them has the pins pointing inwards towards each other, not parallel. This means that the pins wont fit through the holes in the chrome base.
I've been trying to straighten out the pins, but the result is that the surface on the outside of the badge cracks. After they have cracked I've managed to get them down against the chrome base, but then the next problem appears..
The diameter of the new badges are too big for them to fit properly into the base., the badge sits on the edges of the base. So annoying.

The old C-pillar emblems came with long threaded studs and are attached with nuts behind the C-pillar vinyl on the inside, these are the ones I currently have, but one of them is a little bit cracked where the stud is attached to the badge.
I'm just worried that moisture will collect in that crack and make it look worser than it does right now, after a while.

I know that there are newer style badges that fit correctly, but since BMW has that stupid rule that you can't return this stuff once you order it, even if it doesn't fit, I just don't want to throw any more money at them for this item when every badge so far has been worthless crap.

So I'm open to anything, newer style, older style, as long as it fits, but I would like to be sure I have a good one before gluing the vinyl to the C-pillar.

Cheers,

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Gransin, from what I remember there is nothing you have to do from inside the car, will take pics!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jon,

Yes with the new style badges you just push them in place (if you're lucky enough to get a badge with parallel pins).

The old ones have threaded pins and you have to put nuts on the inside, you access the nuts through these two holes on the inner C-pillar behind the leather/vinyl:
IMG_8493.jpg

Cheers,

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree the original badges had threaded studs but the parts book does not show any nuts being involved. When my coupe was repainted 11 years ago it had the early emblem and there was no nut on them. The replacements are too purple and crack easily due to the pin issue as you have noted.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Darn double post again. Anyone else having issues with no response when hitting Post Reply and nothing happening? I sometimes have to click more options and using that window to click reply.

restart

Reaction score
image.jpg Plus one on the slower feeds, usually but not always. I thought server on the other end.
Regarding the badge here is a pic of one I have in front of me. Is there any sign of a bolt being used?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree the original badges had threaded studs but the parts book does not show any nuts being involved. When my coupe was repainted 11 years ago it had the early emblem and there was no nut on them. The replacements are too purple and crack easily due to the pin issue as you have noted.

Okay, a friend of mine that has owned several e9 before said exactly the same thing as you, never seen any nuts beeing used.
Seems like I am the one who has this backwards, the reason for me believing this is my car had nuts on the badges when I bought the car, and I was sure the holes in the inner C-pillar (pic in my last post) was there so you could fit the nuts to the bolts.

In that case I need to start searching for some plastic grommets, has anybody bought these anywhere lately? I think the threaded pins on the older badges are slimmer than the pins on the new ones, but not 100% sure.

frogisland

Reaction score
Fed up with returning badges back to BMW. Had a number now, only found one where the pins were straight AND were spaced correctly. The holes in my C pillars align with the rubber seal and the chrome backing plate....but not the badge. Re the grommets, the holes are not large enough to press the badge into, its all a lot of trouble to remedy. I may end up cutting the pins off this one badge and bonding on. As above, I'm sure if you try to straighten the pins the enamel will crack.

Attachments

• IMG_20170225_130126.jpg
    IMG_20170225_130126.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20170225_130155.jpg
    IMG_20170225_130155.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20170225_130250.jpg
    IMG_20170225_130250.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 145

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fed up with returning badges back to BMW. Had a number now, only found one where the pins were straight AND were spaced correctly. The holes in my C pillars align with the rubber seal and the chrome backing plate....but not the badge. Re the grommets, the holes are not large enough to press the badge into, its all a lot of trouble to remedy. I may end up cutting the pins off this one badge and bonding on. As above, I'm sure if you try to straighten the pins the enamel will crack.

Yes, irritating isn't it?
But, did the badge that had parallel pins and correct spacing have the right diameter to fit/sit correctly into the chrome backing plate? The badges I've tried (after cracking them) doesn't fit inside the roundel in the backing plate.
I was thinking the same thing, bonding them in place, but when they sit only on the outer edges of the backing plate it makes it quite difficult to get it perfect.

frogisland

Reaction score
Badge sits slightly proud. The badge measures at 60.4-60.5mm versus the roundel at 59.95mm, and herein is the other problem!

Photos are not great.

Attachments

• IMG_20170226_204517.jpg
    IMG_20170226_204517.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20170226_204454.jpg
    IMG_20170226_204454.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 154

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm searching for a C-pillar badge, it doesn't have to be pristine but if possible in good or very good shape.

I'm about to install my headliner and the vinyl that covers the A and C pillars, and made a late decision to replace one of my badges that is sliiightly cracked. Much easier to replace now than later on.

As I'm in a bit of a hurry to get it, I'd prefer to find one in Europe, but if someone in U.S has one and can ship soon, please write here or start a conversation.

Thanks in advance,
Hi;
I believe Roge's Tii website has the two pieces.
Koopman

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
He resells BMW parts, he doesn't make anything. Hate to suggest this, but, you may need to buy a new matching base for the new roundel and hope that fits.

restart

Reaction score
Badge sits slightly proud. The badge measures at 60.4-60.5mm versus the roundel at 59.95mm, and herein is the other problem!

Photos are not great.

That's shocking!
But on the positive side, just think if you had drilled new holes in your base and THEN found out it still didn't fit.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, right now I have a lead on an old style badge thanks to Keshav:)

JensVdb

Reaction score
I was devastated when I was reading this topic at lunch today since I bought new pillar logos from the local BMW dealer last week.
When I came home I went straight to the garage to check this and unfortunately I have the same problem. (Pins are slightly pointing inwards)

IMG_8503_zpssr8tsgk1.jpg

IMG_8512_zpsw2bu8bla.jpg

IMG_8511_zpszuckx4rq.jpg

I adjusted the old backing plate holes a bit to see how the the badge fits the backing plate. Seems to be that mine is fitting quite well.

IMG_8509_zpsljx3schk.jpg

IMG_8508_zps4zoeorqh.jpg

Only problem that I have is that the badge doesn't fit the C-pillar.
I already tried to heat up the pins and bend them a little bit, but that's not working.
I am thinking to adjust the C-pilar holes a little bit... although I'm not a fan of it...

IMG_8501_zpsl4zt0fnz.jpg

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jens,

Can't you find a paint artist to repaint the old badges? In my opinion the raised letter badges are so much nicer than all the others, I have been searching for raised letter C-badges before but didn't find any. Don't know how rare they actually are?
If not, maybe you want to sell them both to me?;)