toolkit cracked! Someone please commission a better design

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, just as my car seems about done and complete, my tool kit broke the other day as I was driving Blue Belle to Tom Baruch for some winter fix it jobs in prep for Spring events. It has the trademark crack just around the plastic holding the big wing nut screw. I had a new kit installed in 2012 from Coupeking but all those years of carrying my tools in their finally did me in. Yes, i know, you are not supposed to carry the tools in the box but I got lazy after too many concours events and didn't enjoy reinstalling tools in the box over cleaning my E9.

I will follow Macha's advice of using JB weld and SEM Storm grey to repair this crack.

But maybe it is time for someone to design a new tool kit that looks like our old one but is actually strong enough to support tools all the time!

Any other ideas on cheap replacement kits? i promise not to store tools in them any more!

Wayne

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BMW remade them a couple years ago. I think they are still available at the dealership for about $300
The CK toolbox is refurbed original so they look great but that 40+ year old plastic is still fragile.
I bought a new one a few years ago after my original broke twice but I still use a tool roll for carrying tools except when showing the car.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
new ones are sturdy, I keep my tools in them. My original one met its demise from shutting it on a wine bottle :( even though I had moved to a tool roll.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
t2-jpg.19155

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i did a little research on a new toolbox (pricing). believe it or not, of the 6 or 7 places i scanned in the US, LJI was the cheapest at $395, followed by ECS tuning at 412, then getbmwparts at 429, bmw of so atlanta 440 and bmw list of 447.21. horrified by the lack of discount, and threat of NLA in some of the listings ... i ordered one from W+N for $281 and bought a few other things and stayed within the 49 euro shipping (and got the 20.02 euro discount). if you are in the market for one of these ... you better act ... and do research on pricing and discounts.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i was shocked. very happy with Wally's price since i was buying other things. i am afraid that the supply is running out and the price is going up with the possible dwindling supply or BMWNA's thought to not bring more in to keep the classic parts inventory down.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
The swing down half shell tool box from the 74> e9/e3/e24 cars are virtually bombproof. You'll need some slight modifications to make the 74 CS kit fit though. Believe the vinyl lined covers for the trunk lid are a little different compared to the earlier coupes.