What to do when you buy a Bavaria

chope97

Reaction score
I just purchased another Bavaria a 1973 to go along with my 1971. Along with the one we owned for about 20 years this is my 3rd Bavaria. I purchased it from a dealership in Pa it was a California car. The question is what do you do when you bring home your new to you E3? Here is my take on the subject
1. Change out all the fuses, that's right all, these fuses become ineffective over time where they contact the metal fuse holder many electrical problems can be solved by changing the fuses, my dash lights were not working but this took care of that problem. Take a Phillips screw driver and spin it in the top and bottom fuse bracket hole until it looks shiny. also use copper/brass fuses.
2. check the sparks plugs - my car was not running well I pulled the plugs out and checked them and they were all way out of spec closer to .040 not he .024 as required. Car ran better
3. Adjust the valves - properly adjusted valves give your M30 more power. This is not hard to do but it is a little tedious. All the valves were way too loose out of spec. We also found a major problem, on top of the head is an oil bar which drips oil on the cam and valves to keep them lubricated. The screws that attach this too the head come loose over time. Not only were the screws loose but one of the screws had come completely out and was sitting on top of the head near an oil drain hole. That side of the head was not getting the oil it needed so there was some noticeable cam lobe ware from lack of oil.
4. Grounds - these cars have grounds that need to be checked. It is a good idea to take the body ground braided straps a loose and using a steel brush or sand paper or 3m pad and get that contact area nice and shiny. If the braided lines has seen better days replace them. Make sure the ground between the engine and firewall is intake. This will also save you a lot of frustration regarding electrical problems
5. Check power steering reservoir - mine showed evidence of someone putting power steering fluid in here instead of ATF. Since these cars are so old it is better to drain and refill with fresh ATF.
6. Lubricate all locks - use dry silicone spray (better than graphite) this is very important to preserve and keep your locks working spray in the lock where the key goes
7. Change the Antifreeze every two years - if you don' know when if has been done change it
8. Change rear diff gear oil
9. Change transmission fluid whether auto or manual
10. Brake fluid - flush it brake fluid absorbs water over time and this degrades braking effectiveness and causes parts to rust from the inside like brake lines

That is it for now but this are the basics that should help your Bavaria ownership be more enjoyable

Last edited:

Bwana

Reaction score
Good list for a running car. You might add to flush the brake fluid, it's probably full of water. My $900 special wasn't running so I'm simply tearing it all apart!

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While you are performing the valve adjustment, bring the engine to TDC and paint the timing mark. The marks are notoriously hard to spot on these old greasy engines, especially if the timing is off and the distributor is badly worn that the mark dances around a lot in the strobe.

+1 on brake fluid flush.

Ed Z

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Banjo bolt on oil bar is well known to us e24 owners. BMW does have a replacement that supposedly does not come loose.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Buy the set with predrilled holes and safety wire them. Not too tight to damage the crush wahers. The oil bar is directional.