differential and transmission oil

ajf

Reaction score
I'm about to change out (first time, just got the car) the differential and transmission oils. I think I've read the relevant threads here to get people's opinions and recommendations, but since there is some disagreement I wanted to clarify/verify...

For the original 4-speed I will use Red Line MTL (GL-4 gear oil; SAE 70W80) and for the diff I plan on using Royal Purple MaxGear (SAE 75W-90)...unless someone can tell me why I should not. Thanks in advance.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm about to change out (first time, just got the car) the differential and transmission oils. I think I've read the relevant threads here to get people's opinions and recommendations, but since there is some disagreement I wanted to clarify/verify...

For the original 4-speed I will use Red Line MTL (GL-4 gear oil; SAE 70W80) and for the diff I plan on using Royal Purple MaxGear (SAE 75W-90)...unless someone can tell me why I should not. Thanks in advance.

your intention is good but your information very limited, which type of diff is essential (LSD type diff like to drink certain oils) , and your location probably matters (some products are not available here others there)
please specify

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I use Redline in all my transmissions and differentials. Great product and excellent help line. Give them a call. They will advise the best product based on the application.

One comment however. Before switching to a 5 speed my original 4 speed was a screamer. I ran 50% Redline / 50% regular gear oil to quite it down.

ajf

Reaction score
your intention is good but your information very limited, which type of diff is essential (LSD type diff like to drink certain oils) , and your location probably matters (some products are not available here others there)
please specify

Thanks to everyone for the responses. As for more info, I'm in the US (southern California) and, for others' sake for future searches on this thread, if there are specific recommendations for LSD and non-LSD diffs, I'm sure people would benefit from hearing advice for both types.

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I use Redline in all my vehicles. Great products and great service.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I use 50/50 redline and brad penn gear oil for the tranny and penn gear oil for the diff