WTB lower steering column cover, for a 72’

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am looking for the lower steering column cover, for a 72’

This is a cast part with a pebble texture

I need one in good condition, without any chips

I took mine off and bead blasted it to refinish but decided the upper is too difficult to r & r so I want to go back to original

The dealer lists this as available and only $27, but I am sure that must be the plastic version

LOWER TRIM PANEL

http://parts.bmwmonterey.com/p/BMW_1972_30CSManualCoupe/LOWER-TRIM-PANEL/43812563/32311152991.html

Part Number: 32311152991 ; 32311111929; 32311120255

Thanks!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mark,

the panel shown is not only plastic, it is for the '74 with telescoping steering column. i have a metal one, but it needs to be refinished ... which would be like what you have. y0u are correct, removing the upper piece is not fun.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

It's not terribly difficult to remove the upper column. I just did this last week. I have some picks in my deconstruction thread. You could hit the upper and lower with some rustoleum truck bed spray which looks pretty good. I have pics of that finish in my 3D printing thread.

I'd like to check with daddywad on his Alpina intake. the finish is very close to the oem steering column texture. Probably powder coated.

Is there anything in the lock cylinder that wouldn't hold up to a powder oven? It would be convenient if you could mask it off and leave in place.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks,
It is interesting that BMW parts shows the plastic one for the 72 CS
A friends Bavaria we looked at has the part in plastic as well, not sure of the year
to make the upper exactly match the lower at this point I would have to sand blast the upper and texture both
If I can't find a good lower I will do my best to match the lower to the upper

Funny you should mention the daddywad Alpina intake
I bought that, (and the curved intake horns)
I am thrilled to have it, but I didn't really like the texture on it so I had it sand blasted and redone with more of a crinkle, and had the air filter box done to match
Looks bitchin, like they used to say

eludvigs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey fellas .... need the same part. Any luck finding one? RS, you still have the metal one?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think I do. I will go dig it out and send you some pix
The number embossed on the part is 225 1101 4919. It has a year date of '70. It came from a '70 2800cs. Send me your email address and I will send them to you. I am having computer issues and am using my iPad right now ... Not that easy to transfer files

eludvigs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just to clarify I'm looking for 32311111929 which is for the telescoping 74.
a54dcc5047e521902dd22c0e6f0d7519.jpg

Guess I just looked at that first link and assumed same part. [emoji52]

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I looked this up for my car, a 72' and the part they showed was only $27ish, so assuming it is plastic?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I looked this up for my car, a 72' and the part they showed was only $27ish, so assuming it is plastic?
That would be my guess ... If you also look up the part number you will see that it is also for an e12 and e23 (if I remember correctly). If that is the case, it is plastic for a telescoping wheel