Dash Speaker

lsquaredb

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an available speaker that fits in the dash cutout? The Alpine SPS-406 that has been recommended in the past is NLA. Thanks.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I may be something of a snob when it comes to stereo equipment, but a single center speaker like that is only useful for listening to baseball games.

If I were going to do music in my car (which I am not because I would rather listen to the Webers), I would install two speakers in that space, and use a crossover to route low frequencies to other speakers. I would also consider an enclosure of some kind behind the speakers to enhance their efficiency and limit the resonance from the dash.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone with their suggestions. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do.

My original intent was to put a small amplifier in the car and listen to podcasts through the dash speaker. I don't like listening to music in cars because the noise floor is too high. If I turn it up loud enough to hear the quiet parts, the loud parts are too loud and hurt my ears.

I've also been thinking about putting in a radio with stereo speakers and maybe a small tablet where the speaker goes, but the car has never had speaker holes cut into it, and maybe it's worth preserving that way.

What to do about the speakers is a lower priority anyway. The higher priority, more agonizing decision is what to do about the steering wheel.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I went with a Nardi wood wheel, and I love it. http://www.nardi-personal.com/index...ssic-5061-36-3000&catid=40&Itemid=280&lang=en

I actually bought the steering wheel before I bought the car. If I had it to do over again, I would go for the satin spokes (at the wrong angle the sun shines off the polished spokes and they acquire small scratches over time). Many here will extol the virtues of nice leather wheels, and I agree they are great, but you can do a nice leather wheel in a more modern car. You cannot only get the look and feel of a thin Nardi wood wheel in a classic old car.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
I have the wooden bus wheel, and I don't like how hot and slimy it gets on a sunny summer day. I'd also like a wheel with a collapsible hub. I'm leaning towards the 4 spoke leather Alpina, but it may be too sporty for a car with an automatic. I think a leather Nardi might look too modern. In pictures, the rim looks too thick. Some of the Momos like the Prototipo looks nice, but new ones are too small in diameter.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
sound in the coupe

this is my experience,

i was unsure about the quality of sound of such an odd setup with one frontal speaker and a mono radio, the reality is that the setup works pretty good, i would say surprisingly good,

i have a little mono blaupunkt radio with aux input that is used for mp3 device, no amplifier and a setup of four speakers using a series/parallel configuration to keep the impedance in 4 ohms as it is the limit of the radio

to do so i keep one speaker at the front dash hole and its pair below the passenger seat, then two more speaker in the rear shelf

the radio is so simple i use an external fadder placed in the glovebox

well the sound is lovely, and powerful enough, obviously an amp will drive you to higher volume without distortion, but as i saysound is enough for normal relaxed driving (when you kick the pedal is better to switch off the music)

Last edited:

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the the late 70's and probably the best and least invasive solution was the first high end car speaker solution with the ADS 200. Had the tweeter out of the Braun LV 1020 which was arguably the best speaker in the world mated with a 4" high inch displacement speaker in a fully enclosed aluminum housings.

Had mounts for the rear parcel shelf. No cutting required. Price in 1979 was crazy high and best run with an ADS amp.

Kind of like a two speaker high fi in your car.

Not much bass but clarity beyond belief.
Paid almost as much for the amp and speakers as I did for my 72' 2002. But boy could they move air.

Want a period high end period solution? These can still be found. Those who know them will attest best in the world on the day.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
For a speaker in the dash solution, I've seen one where there were two small speakers placed behind the hole, each angled inwards towards the hole so their paths cross. There are a number of 3.5" speakers available from www.crutchfield.com. Not ideal certainly, but allows you to get a bit more sound, in stereo, without altering the dash holes. I'd build a small enclosure to help the bass a bit, space allowing.
You could run speakers in the rear deck to get full sound, but since I rarely listen to the radio in the car, I likely won't bother with the rears.

Ian

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an available speaker that fits in the dash cutout? The Alpine SPS-406 that has been recommended in the past is NLA. Thanks.
I recently saw one for sale on CL.but will have to do some hunting tonight. I spend about 5 to 6 hours looking for parts for members and enjoy every moment doing it.
Koopman