E9 engine and tranny swap

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tom, as Chris said above, 5/8" would be the mathematical answer, however it may appear to be more than that as the angle between front and rear will decrease.

Rangertom50

Reaction score
Thanks Pete. When did you say you were moving to the east coast mid Atlantic [emoji1]?
de06d4a56035258956c3a6625e653b30.jpg

Cars beginning to look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rangertom50

Reaction score
I love that saddle color too. But sadly the leather is fragile to the touch. Specially in the back

Rangertom50

Reaction score
So I called La Jolla independent and spoke to Carl about the springs on my E9. He said the that it might be the deferential mounts that need to be changed since it dictates the height of the back wheels. What do guys think?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Tom, I think you/Carl are referring to the sub-frame mounts.

so, while that's true, unless they are banging around making noise or you feel abrupt sway when you initiate turns they are not likely the culprit of wheel height "problems" (although Carl is 1000% more knowledgeable than I am or will ever be). My suggestion would be to plan out your "suspension refresh"; the entire thing is quite easy/simple and if you start collecting pieces now you can do a whole lot of stuff at one time.
Springs front and rear {medium pain}
Bilstein shocks/struts (front & rear){medium pain}
New spring perches (rear) Carl will tell you which ones are correct, {easy}
New rear sub-frame bushings (check Ireland engineering for prices of theirs) {medium pain}
Swing arm bushings {advanced pain}
Rear diff mount {easy}
Full set of rubber brake lines (all the rubber brake lines should be replaced front and rear){medium pain}
Transmission mount {easy}
Engine mounts{easy}
Steering components (tie-rod ends, lower control arms, idler arm, strut bushings){advanced pain}
Check the strut bearings as mentioned above and at the very least if they don't have to be replaced you can actually force new grease into them. {easy}

notice there is no designation for "unbearable pain" :)

I know the rear brakes have been done but you may want to do the fronts while the car is up in the air. Hey, it never stops... for very long!

Rangertom50

Reaction score
Thanks again Pete. You have really been a lot of help to me. Now I do have to disagree with you on the no unbearable pain part. I feel like this Beautiful E9 stabbed deep in my pocket [emoji23]

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If the diff mount is sagging half shafts move outwards compressing springs up, I think that is what Carl is telling you.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Chris/Carl- I was trying to envision the dynamics of that but my mind only works a little, which is probably a good thing :)

Rangertom50

Reaction score
Thank you Chris. We just looked at it. It's in bad shape

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Tom -- your car is coming along nicely. We need to connect one of these days.

On the question of ride height -- when BMW modified our cars to accommodate the US DOT rules on headlight height, they installed that goofy spacer at the top of the front strut and modified the rear spring pad thickness. This raised the car front and rear. When you start working on your rear suspension, the rear spring perch that corresponds to the part number for your car -- 33 53 3 450 106 -- is not the one you want if you are trying to lower the rear of your car. Instead, part number 33 53 2 450 107 is the lower perch, which provides a more level stance.

Rangertom50

Reaction score
Thanks Chris. We really need to connect soon. Your from MoCo and I work in MoCo. My mechanic is actually near the MoCo airpark in
Gaithersburg

Rangertom50

Reaction score
Trying to get a nardi steering wheel for my E9. Deep dish? 360mm vs390mm? Would appreciate any input

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
360. Quicker steering ratio. Slightly more effort, but that's what you want. School bus steering not cool.

I prefer flat; not dished.

Bwana

Reaction score
*ahem* I beg to differ! School bus wheel is awesomely cool!

PC180023.jpg

I consider it the "James Bond narrow tie" look :D

Rangertom50

Reaction score
This is my set up now. Does anybody here have those aluminum trim on the steering wheel? I might just keep them if I can spruce her a bit

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There was a guy in Europe who had them for sale on eBay earlier this year. Do a search here, I think it will show up. I purchased some from him - they are beautiful.

Gary