e3 dashboard removal

Bwana

Reaction score
Tried a search but no luck. Has anyone removed an e3 dashboard? Is it possible without removing the windshield? Mine is shot but I have a replacement.

I'm finally getting around to starting into my $900 e3. I'll start a separate thread to document the job

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Tried a search but no luck. Has anyone removed an e3 dashboard? Is it possible without removing the windshield? Mine is shot but I have a replacement.

I'm finally getting around to starting into my $900 e3. I'll start a separate thread to document the job
Do you want a print-out of instructions? If so send name and address.
Koopman

Bwana

Reaction score
Any way to scan and post as a photo to share with the rest of the group? If not, I'll send you my info.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you have to pull the windshield because there are 3 screws right at the base of the windshield (one in the center and two on either side - although on my 72 there were holes for 5 screws) that you can really only get with the windshield out.

thestein1016

Reaction score
I reconditioned my dash earlier this year. It is possible to remove it without taking out the windshield, but it will require you to get into some weird positions to "reverse" screw out those screws.

rbmacp

Reaction score
I replaced mine, but had to have the glass out anyway. I was pretty sure the windshield had to be out in order to remove and replace the dash.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi,

Got the windshield out of my parts car today. So now I'm going to remove the dash. Got the 3 screws out the top. How many fasteners/screws are there underneath and where do I look for them?
Any guidance would be greatly apprciated.

John

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
After the 3 along the windshield,
take out the gauge cluster by taking the grille off to access the back of it. that will give you access to reach behind the dash for the screws connected to the back of the air vent on the drivers side. Take off the glove compartment to access the screws in the back of the air vent on the passenger side. Then theres some behind the wood trim. once you have those, it should come out

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
After the 3 along the windshield,
take out the gauge cluster by taking the grille off to access the back of it. that will give you access to reach behind the dash for the screws connected to the back of the air vent on the drivers side. Take off the glove compartment to access the screws in the back of the air vent on the passenger side. Then theres some behind the wood trim. once you have those, it should come out

Yes Thanks. Also found 2 screws on either side of the steering column and the dash came out came out easy.

73tiiguy

Reaction score
Pic of my E3 with dash removed

For windscreen removal:

Remove the glass and rubber seal first. I have tried to put the trim back on with glass installed, and it's not worth the effort. Also the trim bends easily and you will deform it trying to squeeze and force it into the rubber seal.

Remove the windshield by prying and pushing (with your fingers) on the rubber seal from the inside the cabin along the top edge. Once you have enough of the seal unseated from the body flange it will easily lift out.

Windscreen installation:
Install all of the aluminum trim into the seal
Use masking tape to hold the trim into place
Then install the whole thing back into the body opening.
Use something like 1/8" parachute cord.
You can adjust the glass by bitch smacking it with an open hand (once your hand makes contact, push or pull in the direction your glass needs to move.)

Attachments

• IMG_4940_E3_DASH.jpg
    IMG_4940_E3_DASH.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 193