How to remove the wiper linkage assembly?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I removed the nuts around the spindles which seems to be the only things holding the whole wipers, motor and linkages to the body. Everything moves freely but I can't swing the assembly out because the nut that tightens the hood release cable is in the way. I've looked all around it and I don't see an obvious way to remove the hood latch and I would also rather not mess with that one since the alignment is good right now.

The passenger side wiper spindle came out of its hole easily enough but the driver side does not have enough room below so it has to swing out front but is blocked by that locking nut assembly. See the lower middle of this photo.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1023.jpg
    IMG_1023.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 117

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I loosened that 10mm nut holding the arms to the motor and took mine out in two pieces.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can take the whole thing out in one piece after you remove the three nuts on the motor, and the large nuts by the wiper spindles.

Good call on the motor position. I haven't had to concern myself with that but will in the future.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
and watch your hands when you plug it back in, the motor will want to center itself and take your hand with it.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
and watch your hands when you plug it back in, the motor will want to center itself and take your hand with it.

I've read many warnings about that on the forum. Not planning on getting anywhere near that one unless the battery is still disconnected.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sort of unrelated, but I noticed in the links one guy had wrapped his motor with duct tape to seal the holes. Duct tape is pretty short lived, and heinously unattractive. :) On mine I found small rectangles of friction tape (the same stuff on the wiring harness). Amazing they held up so long, but when I replaced them with new friction tape, it just fell off. And it was never very waterproof anyway. Then I found this stuff at a local home store. It sticks great and is waterproof. Good for all sorts of things. Kind of spendy with only 15 feet on the roll.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Linerless-Electrical-75-Inch-15-Foot/dp/B00004WCCK