BMW E9 fan my illustration of an e9

martincoffeydesigns

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Hi folks. My name is Martin and I'm a huge fan of the e9. It's understated elegance makes it one of the most beautiful coupes of all time. Attached is an illustration I've done of a 3.0 CSL race car owned by Blakeney Motor Sports. I saw it at the 2016 Donington Historic Festival, and thought it would look amazing in a poster with a bright orange background. The car has been illustrated using a fantastic app called 'Inkpad' by Taptrix on my iPad. So it's actually a drawing. Hope you like.

martincoffeydesigns

Reaction score
Spectacular! Nice work. I saw the real thing at Laguna Seca yesterday.
Spectacular! Nice work. I saw the real thing at Laguna Seca yesterday.
Hi Stan and Philippe. Thanks for welcoming me. I'm glad you both like it. Actually it was a lot of work, so I'm really glad. I would love to sell some of these as posters. Not for big profit, I hand a full time job, but it would give me a big thrill if my artwork was enjoyed by others. Funnily enough, I sent Peter Blakeney who runs the real thing a copy. He loved it and I offered to send him one when I sort out a printer. Funnily enough, that is proving harder to do than I thought! Here's one I got printed and it's fabulous. Unfortunately, it's a one off for now from a friend. I'm trying to find someone who will print a few for me.
image.jpeg

martincoffeydesigns

Reaction score
Hi Stan and Philippe. Thanks for welcoming me. I'm glad you both like it. Actually it was a lot of work, so I'm really glad. I would love to sell some of these as posters. Not for big profit, I hand a full time job, but it would give me a big thrill if my artwork was enjoyed by others. Funnily enough, I sent Peter Blakeney who runs the real thing a copy. He loved it and I offered to send him one when I sort out a printer. Funnily enough, that is proving harder to do than I thought! Here's one I got printed and it's fabulous. Unfortunately, it's a one off for now from a friend. I'm trying to find someone who will print a few for me. View attachment 19836
Just noticed a couple of typos! Nevermind. Will pay more attention to autocorrect next time.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Martin,

Wel if you ever decide to print a few more I'm always interested in buying one from you.

martincoffeydesigns

Reaction score
Hi Phillippe and Wally. Thanks, I'm flattered. I would love to sell some and would love to give the e9 forum members 1st dibs. I was thinking of doing a Kickstarter campaign and have started to collect email addresses of those interested. Not sure if it's OK to post links, but if you navigate to martincoffeydesigns.com, it will take you to my Facebook page. Anyone from this forum who registers I'll let know about the camps in advance. Thanks

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Martin,

For some maybe hard to understand but there are still people walking this earth without a Facebook account.:(

martincoffeydesigns

Reaction score
image.jpeg
I totally understand. Only been on there a month myself. I'll keep you posted here. Some proof prints arrived today, they are really good but I'm not quite happy with the final colour or paper yet so a little more experimentation before it's ready.

martincoffeydesigns

Reaction score
good question Phillippe. Actually this is a vector illustration so they can be made in any size. The image you see framed is A1 which is 841x594mm. This can be enlarged or reduced to any size without degradation of quality, no fuzzy lines or blurred details. It's what makes the image really clear and almost 'pop'. It's hard work to do taking many many hours to draw, but I love the results. By the way, I'm a bit of a stickler for aesthetics. Notice the lack of a windscreen wiper? It was ugly and got in the way, so I didn't do it. Basically I will resize the image for every size and modify the background border so it always looks perfect.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Martin,

Just measured the 911 frame in my office and that is 700mmx500mm. So your size is only a little larger, that would be just fine.

martincoffeydesigns

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Actually you would end up either scaling it down a little or losing some of the image. I've re-sized and scaled in 70x50cm so it would fit perfectly. I'm going to the new print company next week to test getting the posters printed. I'll post an update later next week.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Martin. Love your illustration; the bold, graphic composition, and the technical execution as well. Even the splash highlight on the right corner beltline trim. My old employer was a stylist in Detroit and taught me all about the proper application of "birdsh*t" highlights, as they were called back in the 60s!

Daniel Sweden

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Martin.

I would like to buy one, too
It is amazing

Would be a great couple if you make the green Gösser car also
pm Me
Sincerely Daniel

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
A bit late to stumble across this, but indeed it is a fantastic image! I studied design and it totally looks like a marker rendering. Good job :)