Best E9 Steering Wheel - Options

G

Reaction score
I'm hoping to benefit from other member experiences here!

My rebuild is slowly progressing, and while my CSi is not yet road worthy, I'm running ahead and considering my options for the steering wheel.

Currently I have a Mota Lita wooden steering wheel fitted, and I believe it to be 36mm - but in extremely poor condition. So I've taken this as complete freedom to go and find something else.

The car interior will be black leather, and Bela22 is hopefully going to help me with Zebrano wood - so rather than stick with a wooden rim, I'm leaning towards the 36mm Nardi Classic - Black leather, grey stitching

Product ID: ND Classic - 6061.36.3001
http://www.nardi-personal.com/index...ssic-6061-36-3001&catid=40&Itemid=280&lang=en

I was hoping other members could tell me their thoughts - I understand personal taste counts for a lot, but size and experience is equally important!

Any other ideas or thoughts would be appreciated -
both on size and design!

Many thanks

NICE ! I have the same steering wheel in Mahogany. I think mine is a 330mm .
IMG_2296.JPG

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Good question. Had the 40cm Petri in the Csi, and the factory leather (also Petri if I'm not mistaken) in the Cs. Liked the sport steering wheel in lot in the Csi but would never want to put it in the Cs. This probably doesn't make much sense but to me the Sport Petri just doesn't fit the Cs character, at least, not my Cs. A wooden Nardi, like the one in Stan's car, for me would be the non factory option.

Attachments

• cs 3 4fm.jpg
    cs 3 4fm.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 424

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Good question. Had the 40cm Petri in the Csi, and the factory leather (also Petri if I'm not mistaken) in the Cs. Liked the sport steering wheel in lot in the Csi but would never want to put it in the Cs. This probably doesn't make much sense but to me the Sport Petri just doesn't fit the Cs character, at least, not my Cs. A wooden Nardi, like the one in Stan's car, for me would be the non factory option.
looks very good, and well combined with the rest of the interior

e9phan

Reaction score
OP,

I think this looks pretty sharp! Watch out for fakes with the leather Nardi's. The wood ones don't seem to be counterfeited much, but it's quite common with the leather ones.

View attachment 19318

I also really like black spoke Nardi's, including the leather version. 390mm looks really good IMO, but 365mm may be a bit more sporty for you.

This is it! I think you've sold me..! Done a little digging and I know the Nardi factory closes for all of August, so hopefully I going to avoid a fake - but it might take a solid six weeks to get hold of the wheel.

I think it's a great combination of the Petri-style, while not being quite as expensive..... well perhaps!

e9phan

Reaction score
While I have come to agreement on this size assertion of Steve and many, it is rather silly. The difference between a 350 mm wheel and a 380 mm wheel is slightly over an inch. It is hard to imagine that aesthetics can be thrown off that much by an inch. I think the diameter of the wheel grip is more important. Fat wheels, even vintage 70's wheels look a bit out of place. I think the reason why the 380 mm to 400 mm wheels look good is because they have narrow grips.

My personal favorites:

1. 380 mm Petri - I *will find one for under $500 eventually.
2. Vintage Alpina (Momo Prototipo)
2. Vintage Momo Prototipo
3. BMW Motorsport Wheel (Italvolanti) - I only like this one because it is period correct, not a huge fan of the style
4. Wood Momo Daytona
5. 390 mm Wood Nardi - Black (mine yay!)
6. 390 Wood Nardi - Polished Aluminum

How about a Mercedes W111 wheel? You have to admit it looks sharp! Fear not, the spline count is all wrong. I stuck my factory Petri horn button on it for fun. This wheel is also made by Petri and has three plastic plugs holding on the hub cap. I bought this locally for $5. It's going on Ebay today.

27951129134_905832f7d5_b.jpg

Markos - had meant to say thanks for the list and picture. I've been through them all and really appreciate the info. For now I'm going to follow you with the Nardi Classic (but I'll go for the leather!)

I think the Merc wheel looks great. Very period correct, and I like the touch of 'humour' it brings. Without wanting to make the whole thing too personal, I've had a long term itch for a W113, and so this would be putting me too close to the path of temptation!

I think that until my wife has a few happy experiences in the E9, I might end up divorced if put W113 on the cards!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now that the OP has what he needs, let's post some more cool steering wheels!

This is the 390mm black spoke Nardi that I picked up for my coupe. It was manufactured in 1981. I will be using the vintage Momo BMW button that came on my 1972 Momo Indy, along with a polished aluminum trim ring. The button is a tad small for the opening. Any Ebay ad that states that a button fits Momo and Nardi is BS. Momo buttons are smaller. If you drill new mounting holes in the horn mounting ring, you can center the momo horn button so it fits well. Incidentally, if you want to learn about the difference between a vintage momo horn button and a fake, here is a good Blog Post on the subject. Interestingly enough, there is an avid steering wheel seller (the guy that uses cardboard boxes as backdrops), that is falsely selling a repro BMW button as vintage for $150.

27995819784_0976f22631_c.jpg

29895793551_72ae934a48_c.jpg

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Now that the OP has what he needs, let's post some more cool steering wheels!

Good idea - maybe start a sticky steering wheel photo thread showing the forum members' preferences and how fits and looks? Here's my cherished csl 38cm leather petri with longer hub:

nnDffLgdqHZ043jAlHTlPMQB-Fz1vSTCt7DeuAUicrhNUJbnLXJlVLy8GSR_5mh8pU_EyU2jLbRTNnkwvWazb7fE9pvsVJHjuUT8pEE6CEpPOeupCmdJG2hmq-sHBAfzr_VqxLjjOsQiB074btZa3Fshab3SQIrw51qXeOwi-Yx5TlOCaPDDHlFC5j3-eisrqM1cKhEmMxc_6b8xBxJULP181o6TJOZPv2TT7zzm-Pw67k0sNfbTmFEPZSC4vFfLnDwmnC4xHFvQHjM-4r_L5Yuw6a7IXCwuftJdpNqoBv39BuaogsN38FWD6bBeeeEYCswFdKZb6tSS1bx64cUaDdCwou9Kg2MlB7uI55iaLjKXTofzb2RryyBNbbp257qjjwGiE3KBZBV3fhfx_VMsQRbscKjsReFAOa-zDdhJi0xwAnMlXLdL0DEV-VNEgUdm8xg_DKIseRXV23EMilZWwU9L17VY5EipeS4tR3OXWXTywP2_gb7XtpglL-dt0h_LkTMwpCcO_2xqeUO14Rpr1VCgTsx6uLSuapMb3Oz3FU2yCvFOKTr_PbDoQIIs9whBDBDVzK_8PzR2PgwiuT-SVEYcFawnW30=w1028-h771-no

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good idea - maybe start a sticky steering wheel photo thread showing the forum members' preferences and how fits and looks? Here's my cherished csl 38cm leather petri with longer hub:

Steve,

Agreed on the concept!

It's possible, but pretty painful to embed Google user photos. You are better off uploading it. I can point you to a blog post that explains how to embed them, but you pretty much have to have each image in its own public folder.

shanon

Reaction score

+1 for rudder sticky/gallery
+1 for wheel sticky/gallery also

Example of 3-spoke (late -60s ,early 70s) Alpina MOMO 350mm with vertical stacked MOMO logo on rear

I get around to re-wrapping leather someday ;-)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Example of 3-spoke (late -60s ,early 70s) Alpina MOMO 350mm with vertical stacked MOMO logo on rear

I get around to re-wrapping leather someday ;-)

such a cool wheel! FYI, there has been some recent reviews of a gent that wraps wheels. See the review sextionn
A more recent pic of the Nardi with the short smooth hub.

FYI - I have and extra two of these early hubs, new old stock in box. They are missing the horn ring though. This makes them a good 'upgrade' for accordian style hubs if anyone is interested. The horn ring swaps over, held in place by two screws. I haven't listed them for sale because of the horn caveat.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
The wooden bus wheel can get hot and slimy in the summer, so I changed mine for a new 38cm leather Alpina. With the new wheel, my hand obstructs the fuel and water temperature gauges. I'd love to find that oem leather wheel too someday.

Leonard
'70 2800CSA