Buying Seats?

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am sure that this has happened to many of us on the forum. You see seats that are exactly what you are looking for to replace your seat covers that are falling apart worn to threads. Problem is they are thousands of miles awy. Too costly to ship you decide not to look into purchasing them. I have been wondering why the following would not be the solution. You ask the seller to remove the covers,leather,cloth or vinyl and ship only the covers. You do not need the seats just the covers. I without any expirience have removed and replaced seat covers that have looked just as good as the originals. I would like to hear comments on this idea and also know if any member has done this.
Koopman

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have done this on Porsches. Their Recaro seats are relatively easy to remove the leather upholstery and re-install. The original e9 seats are a bitch to do!! I've removed the upholstery from both a front and a back seat. After trying to figure out how to get new upholstery on and looking absolutely correct on my '74, I decided to send it to an upholstery shop I had confidence in to get the job done right on all four seats.

Good idea, but at least I know 'I' do not have the skills to do this properly.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
getting the seats done right with the tucks is hard. if your existing seats aren't done correctly ... you won't catch the right way to do it when you take them apart. even buying a set from GAHH or world uph ... leaves the challenge of getting it fit right. i highly recommend a professional.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
getting the seats done right with the tucks is hard. if your existing seats aren't done correctly ... you won't catch the right way to do it when you take them apart. even buying a set from GAHH or world uph ... leaves the challenge of getting it fit right. i highly recommend a professional.
I guess what my point was to purchase the covers off seats instaed of completes seats saving hundreds in shipping costs and the possibility of not purchaseing the seats that would work well for you because of location and costs of shipping. Who installs them is your choice and still would be less expensive even done professionaly.
Koopman

02coastie

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't discount shipping via Greyhound. If properly wrapped (moving blankets work great), it's a very inexpensive way to safely get seats cross-country. I had a set of Scheels sent from Oklahoma to California for about $70.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't discount shipping via Greyhound. If properly wrapped (moving blankets work great), it's a very inexpensive way to safely get seats cross-country. I had a set of Scheels sent from Oklahoma to California for about $70.

Agreed. I am going to continue to use it. It is important to know however that Greyhound no longer insures used car parts. You are SOL if your package is damaged. With that said, I think that it is much less likely to get damaged. Most greyhound busses are a straight shot point A to Point B. Your package is only touch on load and unload. A UPS truck will touch your package multiple times. By the dropoff location, Then by the pickup driver. Then the unloaded. then by the conveyer crew, then onto a cross country tuck and potentially another hub, then another conveyer, then a local truck loader, then the local truck delivery driver. You get the idea.